French Door Project

$2100.00
Advanced

We purchased our home three years ago (times flies when your DIYing every few months), and the sliding back door was so difficult to open that I threw my back out more than once when opening it. A few month ago the handle finally broke off and it was not replaceable (yippee)! So finally we decided to replace it. It was more expensive & more work than we bargained for. Thankfully our finish carpenter friend Craig was on hand to take charge of the project and install it with the help of my husband. I never knew how much work was involved in building a crown like Craig built for me. He designed it to match my open shelf pantry he built & installed for me last year for our anniversary.
We ordered the doors custom from Home Depot and had the built in blinds in the glass, as well as an out swinging door to save room. The pins are a special type of locking pin so when the door is closed they cannot be removed. So no security worries there! We used Benjamin Moore satin "black" on Interior and Exterior. We purchased the lock online, it's a schlage brookshire satin nickel.
We are down to three more home improvement projects and then I hope to be done for a few years at least. It has been three years of projects and my husband & I need some much deserved down time. So without further ado here is our french door project.
Here is the new door in all of her glory! I am cheating and showing you the finished project ;)
BEFORE: The old broken slider.
BEFORE: The outside view of the old sliding glass door. Was very hard to remove and a big mess! Put up a dust barrier to save sawdust throughout your home & turn of your HVAC system & fan.
IN PROGRESS: Measure twice, drill once!
IN PROGRESS: Two days of painting, whew!
IN PROGRESS: Doors painted, handle installed, ready for trim moulding.
IN PROGRESS: The making of a crown is far more labor intensive than I ever knew! Thank heavens for a seasoned finish carpenter friend!
IN PROGRESS: Trim & crown done, ready for paint!
AFTER: Outside painted. What an improvement!
AFTER: New handles are schlage brookshire collection. We have them through our whole home (was another DIY project).
AFTER: Took so long to paint the dentil molding with a small brush. I do love it though.
AFTER: So much easier to open now. Painted black to match my husbands mancave that I am encroaching on again ;)
UPDATE: Thanks to one of your comments I ordered some prettier floor registers! Thanks for some of your great ideas and tips!

3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute

3Β ofΒ 1033 comments