Brocante Living
Brocante Living
  • Eugene, OR

French Door Project

$2100.00
Advanced

We purchased our home three years ago (times flies when your DIYing every few months), and the sliding back door was so difficult to open that I threw my back out more than once when opening it. A few month ago the handle finally broke off and it was not replaceable (yippee)! So finally we decided to replace it. It was more expensive & more work than we bargained for. Thankfully our finish carpenter friend Craig was on hand to take charge of the project and install it with the help of my husband. I never knew how much work was involved in building a crown like Craig built for me. He designed it to match my open shelf pantry he built & installed for me last year for our anniversary.
We ordered the doors custom from Home Depot and had the built in blinds in the glass, as well as an out swinging door to save room. The pins are a special type of locking pin so when the door is closed they cannot be removed. So no security worries there! We used Benjamin Moore satin "black" on Interior and Exterior. We purchased the lock online, it's a schlage brookshire satin nickel.
We are down to three more home improvement projects and then I hope to be done for a few years at least. It has been three years of projects and my husband & I need some much deserved down time. So without further ado here is our french door project.
french door project, doors, home improvement, painting
Here is the new door in all of her glory! I am cheating and showing you the finished project ;)
BEFORE: The old broken slider.
BEFORE: The outside view of the old sliding glass door. Was very hard to remove and a big mess! Put up a dust barrier to save sawdust throughout your home & turn of your HVAC system & fan.
IN PROGRESS: Measure twice, drill once!
IN PROGRESS: Two days of painting, whew!
IN PROGRESS: Doors painted, handle installed, ready for trim moulding.
IN PROGRESS: The making of a crown is far more labor intensive than I ever knew! Thank heavens for a seasoned finish carpenter friend!
IN PROGRESS: Trim & crown done, ready for paint!
AFTER: Outside painted. What an improvement!
AFTER: New handles are schlage brookshire collection. We have them through our whole home (was another DIY project).
AFTER: Took so long to paint the dentil molding with a small brush. I do love it though.
AFTER: So much easier to open now. Painted black to match my husbands mancave that I am encroaching on again ;)
UPDATE: Thanks to one of your comments I ordered some prettier floor registers! Thanks for some of your great ideas and tips!

To see more: http://chateaudelegance.blogspot.com/2016/08/french-door-project.html

• Fir9702476

Where did you find this door. I love it

• Amy Lauzon

Does this door swing to the outside when open?

I have limited space in my kitchen and an outward swinging door would be ideal.

• Toni

What kind of interior wood flooring (featured with new register)?

• Rosemary

Awesome. All three of you did a spectacular job installing new door in old door frame. The custom molding and detailed trim, under molding, slightly wider than original framework is sophisticated. Your choice of color and hardware compliments the mancave theme. Cudos to you all. Thanks for sharing.

Both of our French Doors need replacing... using your model, we can use an 1875 fireplace mantle from a home we were fortunate to inherit.

When you return from you much needed downtime, please, continue to share, share, share.

• Lisa

This is absolutely gorgeous!!! I am in the process of i stalling french doors in my bedroom I hope they come out looking this good🙏