Julie @ WhereWeAreBlog.com
Julie @ WhereWeAreBlog.com
  • Winthrop, MA
Asked on Aug 9, 2013

Black Interior Doors

Diana DeileyVicki MentonJ K  Weigle
+20

I painted all my interior doors black! What do we think?
q black interior doors, doors, painting
  • Victoria

I like the idea and think it could be quite elegant depending on the rest of the room. It's hard to tell without a bigger picture. I think someone said anything is improved with the addition of a little black.

• Maggie C

All our interior doors are painted dark brown. I think I would like black better. My bedroom is a very dark blue, and black would look better there than brown, at least. My family though I was nuts when I asked for a dark blue br. But now they see it really is restful.

• Julie

LOVE the brushed nickel doorknob. As for the door, I see paintstrokes. Perhaps next time, use a sponge roller.

• Judy O

wow, someone really had to comment on seeing paint strokes? Is that necessary ? I just joined this board and I will not stay if the comments made about anyone's personal projects that they work really hard on are negative. then I may think twice about being a member here.

• Jane Mayer

@Judy O The brush strokes can also be eliminated by using half a pint of a smoothing additive you can get at Lowes. Those brushstrokes can be caught on anything striking the surface and chip off... making a lousy finish in just a few years. Better to have a smooth finish.

• Misty Gower

Well, I clicked on the link to see more! Low and behold there was more! The door looks amazing! Paint is such an inexpensive update! Need to go to the blue store now for black paint!

• Jacqui Jeromson

All that really matters is if you like them, But for what it, s worth, I think it's a. good idea, hides finger marks, lol!

• Shari

@Ken Sturmer She has included a link to her blog where she gives more details and shows more photos. It's very common for bloggers to post a photo or two at sites like this to pique your interest in hopes you will jump over to their blog to see more. It's a way to increase blog traffic, and hopefully even pick up some new blog followers.

• Jacqui Jeromson

oh yes, the brushstrokes? Wood grain........rolls eyes to above! Great idea, paint on!

• Marcia Reed

Great idea! The door is beautiful! Tell the family to "think outside the closed door!" (box!). :)

• Sharon

Love the black door1

• Columbia1

I think if YOU (and anyone that lives with you) like it then it is fine. For my house black doors would make the rooms feel closed in. From your pictures it looks like it is on the inside of one room and thus there aren't black doors looking back at you say in the hallway. A picture that shows more of the room would have been helpful to me. I think it is great to try new things. You can always paint over it. We painted a bedroom a royal blue shade and lived with it a two years and repainted it because I felt like I was in a BIG BLUE BOX. LOL!

• Mikell Paulson

I like the fact that you were brave enough to do the black doors. I am to afraid to try something like this. My hat is of to you! The black doors are a beautiful change! I like them!

• Noreen Fitzgerald

Love them! Thought about doing this myself, now I will.

• Tena's

I like it! I'm going to do the same in my house.

• Jessica C

I think the black doors add drama. And if you have kids, way easier to keep clean than white ones!

• Jossi

I like them. They look Elegant ! And, it only really matters what YOU think, right ? Especially as you're the girl doing all the work ! Have fun !

• Pat

Thumbs up! I love Black and White.

• Kat

At first I thought it sounded silly, but after seeing the images def loved the idea! I feel like every house I've been to in MA has the usual white doors and white trims...happy to see something different!

• Susan Folds

I like it

• J K Weigle

Elegance and drama, I agree. However, I think the best part is no dirty fingerprints!

• Vicki Menton

Love them. We are painting ours a very dark brownish black (Black Bean). At first, my husband wasn't keen on the idea but after the 1st for was painted he loved it. New knobs are on the list next. The previous home owner had a huge love affair with brass apparently. After buying pulls for over 30 drawers and knobs for over 70 cabinet doors new doorknobs are having to wait.

• Diana Deiley

Fabulous!