Alternative Uses for Dollar Store Cooling Racks

1 Material
$1
I love buying things at the dollar store. It's so cheap, and there is always something I can find for a DIY project. I saw these cooling racks there, and I thought "what if I can use these for organizing?" It took some thinking, but I found two really awesome uses for it that have definitely made things more organized.
I used them to organize Tupperware lids and my hubby's ties. I know they are two totally different things, but I'm always searching for the right lid that fits, and my hubby spends a lot of time in the morning searching for a tie that matches his shirt.
Option 1: Plastic Lid Organizer
I try to keep all my plastic container lids in a basket. I thought that would help me find them, because at least I would know where they should be. But it's still really hard to find anything in there.
Step 1: Place the Lid on Top of a Bin or Basket
So here's the simple trick. Just place the rack on top of the bin (it actually fits perfectly into mine), and you instantly have a bunch of slots to organize all those lids.
Step 2: Stack Lids Between the Wires
Ta da! They are all stacked and so easy to find now.
Option 2: Hang Up Your Ties
Now for the ties.
Step 1: Hang the Rack with Command Hooks
It's also really simple. Just hang up the cooling rack with some command hooks on the wall of your closet. You don't have to use command hooks, but they are so simple and easy.
Step 2: Hang Up Tour Ties
Then you hang up all the ties. I found the best way to do this is slide the tie around a line on the rack.
See how neat they are? This keeps the ties wrinkle-free, because they usually are in a ball at the bottom of our closet (my hubby isn't big on organization). And now he can easily spot which tie he wants to wear to work.

Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.More info

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 4 questions
  • Deb Deb on Aug 22, 2016
    Did you get the plastic bin at the dollar store as well? I love the idea & already have numerous cooling racks courtesy of my Mom when she downsized. What I need now is the right size bins!
  • Vicci Ziegler Vicci Ziegler on Aug 22, 2016
    Wouldn't this idea also be great to hang in closet for long necklaces and ones that tend to tangle in a jewelry box? I'm definitely giving it a try.
  • Cro4932253 Cro4932253 on Aug 31, 2016
    Where did you get the perfectly sized bins?

Comments

2 of 161 comments
  • Judy Judy on Feb 10, 2019

I have an entire upper kitchen cabinet devoted to various sizes of containers. But as much as I have tried to organize them by sizes, they never stay that way, NEVER! I am sure you have all experienced the tumbling out of containers as you try to pull out just one! Thank you so much for the rack idea for the lids and thank you to "Kat S." for the foil bin idea to slide in and out for easy choosing of the proper bottoms! I can't wait to get organized the right way!

• Ida9464 Ida9464 on Nov 19, 2019
    Back in the day, Whoever said plastic is cheaper & will make your life easier was wrong. It will cost tons to clean up environment and it causes daily frustration for ppl who aren’t fantastically organized. Love it due to weight and not breaking, but there are drawbacks. Her idea is excellent!
Next