Turn Solar Lights Into an Outdoor Table Centerpiece

397K Views
I've been trying to figure out how to get better lighting out on my patio. Candles melt...batteries have to be replaced on outdoor candles...so, next on my list were solar lights. Here's what I did to make them pop!
Cost: $5
I took these boring solar lights that I found for under $1 and took off the bottom portion of them. I then unscrewed the top black piece from the clear part and spray painted them. I used some painter's tape on the solar part to ensure no paint got onto it.
I then found some old wood I had laying around, painted them, and drilled some holes into the top with a drill bit that was the same size as the light stem.
  • turn solar lights into an outdoor table centerpiece, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Placed the lights in the wood and voila! A great way to add some light and decor to any porch or patio.

Suggested materials for this project:

Thrifty and Chic

• Hilliriah Jacobs
      Hilliriah Jacobs Bronx, NY

cool

• LouAnn Edel
        LouAnn Edel Auburn, MI

Earlier this spring, I used these very same solar lights to add some light to our deck....but I only used the top or light portion of them....as it looks like you have done. I had my husband drill a hole in the top of our deck wall posts, that is just a titch smaller then the black tubes so the lights would be snug so wind would not blow them out. By posts I mean 4x4s that were not cut off at deck level when it was built and are part of two side walls. They work really well and add a unique touch with enough light to enjoy a summer evening by.