Decoupage Kitchen Cabinets With Andy Warhol Posters

I had a very plain kitchen, and I had been wanting to do something creative with the white cabinets for a while. Then one day I was at the Museum of Contemporary Art in L.A., and all the Andy Warhol posters were 40% off. Standing in the middle of the store, the idea came to me to buy all the posters and find a way to decoupage them to my kitchen cabinets. So I did!
This is the finished kitchen. I love how some posters cover one cabinet, and others spread across two cabinets.
Cabinet drawers were fun to decoupage since I got to attach the posters in sections. Fortunately none of the knobs hit Marilyn's face in an unflattering place.
I had never decoupaged anything prior to doing this kitchen. I googled how to decoupage cabinets and found the world master of decoupage Durwin Rice, author of "New Decoupage," who taught me how to do it.
Here's the process. I took the cabinet doors off the hinges and applied plain white Elmer's glue to the surface.
I cut the posters to fit the cabinet doors and put them in a bathtub of water to relax the paper. This way, the paper would be easier to work with. Don't worry, the ink doesn't run.
Then I placed the wet poster on the glued surface, using a wet sponge and wet brayer to remove air bubbles. I let it dry overnight and then applied three coats of acrylic polyurethane. Now my kitchen is famous for 15 minutes.

Jonathan Fong

• Pam Sullens

Where can u purchase posters of that uniqueess

• Ida9464

We’re your posters glossy? Will this work better with cheap thin posters or higher quality(u bought at museum store)? I love your mind it’s a fantastic gift from God you have! I’ve been admiring your other work and have become a fan😁

• Benesse

Did you finish the surface with any kind of a seal for easy wiping? Would it even need it?

• Jonathan Fong

It has three coats of acrylic polyurethane, and that made it very durable and easy to wipe.

• Jo

Beautiful. You’ve inspired me. Thank you 😊

• Benesse

That kitchen makes me so happy. I have never seen a project so unique and funky and truly creative. Thank you for the inspiration..