Decoupage Kitchen Cabinets With Andy Warhol Posters

I had a very plain kitchen, and I had been wanting to do something creative with the white cabinets for a while. Then one day I was at the Museum of Contemporary Art in L.A., and all the Andy Warhol posters were 40% off. Standing in the middle of the store, the idea came to me to buy all the posters and find a way to decoupage them to my kitchen cabinets. So I did!
This is the finished kitchen. I love how some posters cover one cabinet, and others spread across two cabinets.
Cabinet drawers were fun to decoupage since I got to attach the posters in sections. Fortunately none of the knobs hit Marilyn's face in an unflattering place.
I had never decoupaged anything prior to doing this kitchen. I googled how to decoupage cabinets and found the world master of decoupage Durwin Rice, author of "New Decoupage," who taught me how to do it.
Here's the process. I took the cabinet doors off the hinges and applied plain white Elmer's glue to the surface.
I cut the posters to fit the cabinet doors and put them in a bathtub of water to relax the paper. This way, the paper would be easier to work with. Don't worry, the ink doesn't run.
Then I placed the wet poster on the glued surface, using a wet sponge and wet brayer to remove air bubbles. I let it dry overnight and then applied three coats of acrylic polyurethane. Now my kitchen is famous for 15 minutes.

15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
15 Kitchen DIY Ideas That Will Come In Handy
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Jonathan Fong

• Pam Sullens

Where can u purchase posters of that uniqueess

• Ida9464

We’re your posters glossy? Will this work better with cheap thin posters or higher quality(u bought at museum store)? I love your mind it’s a fantastic gift from God you have! I’ve been admiring your other work and have become a fan😁

• Benesse

Did you finish the surface with any kind of a seal for easy wiping? Would it even need it?

• Jonathan Fong

It has three coats of acrylic polyurethane, and that made it very durable and easy to wipe.

• Brigette Fahey

FANTASTIC! I will be copying your idea. Now I just need a subject idea for my kitchen and bathrooms!

We are buying an old 70’s house and the cabinets are ugly.

Well they won’t be for very long.

Thank you so much for the inspiration.

Beautiful job and you can’t get mad at Andy Warhol!!! 🦋

• Maude LaFountain

In the one picture where you are putting the poster of the vintage can of Tomato Soup I actually have 2 can's that have ANDY WARHOLS name on the cans from a line of Campbell's Soup that was a one time thing ......they aren't that old actually on the bottom of the can it says to use by Aug 2,2014 ..so they aren't that old but I like the look of the cans ...Bought them at a yard sale for 25 cents each they have never been opened lol ... but I really love your cabinets ....Great job !!!