Gail--My Repurposed Life
Gail--My Repurposed Life
  • Louisville, KY
Asked on Aug 10, 2013

I have an off-white porcelain sink with a few nicks and chips

Sta6651647Gina RayeBarbara Valenti
+15

I would love to paint it or resurface it somehow. Have you done one? What did you use? How long has it been? are you still happy with it?
you can see it's off-white. I want it to be white (or maybe black?)  Just anything other than it is now.
you can see it's off-white. I want it to be white (or maybe black?) Just anything other than it is now.
  • Teresa A

I refinished my tub and tile shower walls and ceiling with a Rust-oleum Tub & Tile Refinishing Kit when it became available on the market years ago. I bought it at Home Depot at the time. I was pleased with finished look and the durability in the tub and wall area. The ceiling refinish didn't hold up as well. We never turned our bathroom fan and the condensation moisture eventually loosened the epoxy surface. Adequate ventilation is most important when using this product.

• Stacy

I have a few chips in my tub. I paint a small dot of "white out" on ithem every so often. It lasts for a while and then I just re-do it when it starts to wear. It makes it much less noticeable. I keep the bottle of white out in my bathroom so when I notice it starting to wear I just dab a new dot on it.

• There was a recent post about painting a kitchen sink. My thoughts on this is simple. Painting items such as tubs and perhaps bathroom sinks may be an ok idea, but your kitchen sink takes on a whole lot more abuse, which caused the chips in the first place. And any refinish on that will be short lived. I suggest that all you to is take a nail polish and touch up the spots so they do not stand out so bad and leave it at that. If you refinish the surface it simply will not hold up to the abuse a kitchen sink gets.

• John

The Refinish products only work if you are going to sell the house. It does not last at all. Miracle method and all those refinish company's are just CRAP. This is very short term.

• Shirley Boley

I have a vintage sink that has some pot dings? .I have looked all over for a new sink made like this one in style and not cost an arm and leg or two.(.for my kitchen re-do), none to be found I guess?...this one was painted..I am not sure with what but it looked like latex paint...that came off easily..until I got to the bottom of the sink..that has been a different story..what ever was used..is really sticking...power washer verydifficult to remove it..so I can see how bad the sink basin is...I do think there is products and companies that use and do a great job..? I just not have searched far enough I guess?...and I am a DIY-er if at possible and recycle if possible..and since I have not found a new sink..I am on a mission to repair this one...

• Tegma

I have used appliance touch up in the past and it lasts. You may purchase a bottle at Lowes, Walmart, etc. in the paint area. It's only a few dollars.

• Straight Nails Construction

Yes, there is an epoxy chip filler sold. It has worked well for me in the past. One note, when using... be sure you have the ventilation fan on or a window open, as this product have a very strong scent that can overwhelm you when used. The larger the chip, you may have to put 3-4 coats on to try and get the surface back to the original level.

• Gail--My Repurposed Life

Thanks y'all! I really wanted to change the color... not jut cover up the dings. But alas, I just went with it and installed my new faucet. The new faucet it so pretty, maybe nobody will notice the sink doesn't match my kitchen. lol

• Tanya Peterson Felsheim

They won't notice they will think you were being unique! I think some day you might just decide to replace the sink...its not as big a deal as you might think, then get what you want.

• Gail--My Repurposed Life

@Tanya Peterson Felsheim I would replace the sink, however my counter tops are painted. So if I replace the sink I need to either replace the counter or paint it again. Somewhere down the road it all will happen. Until then I have a pretty faucet! (not the one in the picture above, it's the "before" picture)

• Patricia W

I have a very expensive pedestal sink, its from Mirabelle, and has a chip. Its bisque, and I have not been able to find anything near the same color to repair it.

• Have you reached out to the manufacture about repair products that would match @Patricia W

• Ann

I used white nail polish to cover the dings. Cost $2.50!

• Barbara Valenti

You might not want a black sink. I had a friend with a gorgeous chocolate brown sink which she thought she loved until..she had to constantly clean it. White stains will always stick out, like soap and water scum. Plus her problem was toothpaste. It did look bad! Anyway, chose carefully.

• Gina Raye

Wonder if you could paint the sink with a copper effect?

• Sta6651647

I have the same sink , I clean mine with Comet & Bleach and my sink is still white after 18 yrs