Pamela F
Pamela F
  • Hinesville, GA
Asked on Aug 10, 2013

Please Help Me Identify These Plants If You Can

Laurie KSusieS
+11

I threw down some wild perennial seeds a couple of months ago. Thought they were a bust until I saw these. Honestly, I don't know if they are from the seeds or not but here they are.
please help me identify these plants if you can, gardening
Is this a butterfly weed or Joe Pye weed?

Pamela, the first two are definitely celosia. I'm afraid the others are not far enough along for me to tell.

• Melissa

The third one looks a lot like my Mexican petunia (grows tall, 3'-4', with nice blue-purple blooms) and the sixth one might be lantana (orange-yellow-red blooms).

• Pamela F

I have lantanas and it doesn't really looks like it. Its seems to have tiny buds on them. I was told it bloons orange flowers

• Pamela F

Can I transplant the celosia to a different area or do I need to wait til fall?

@Pamela F Celosia is an annual. Move it to where you want it now as it will be gone with a freeze.

• Mikell Paulson

It doesn't look like Lantana to me either! The one in three looks like wild fire weed!

• Lumen Castaneda

Yes, I was thinking the same about the third one being a weed.

• Pamela F

The third one is in fact petunia. It bloomed for me yesterday morning:-)

• Jean DeSavage

In #7 the green plant looks like a weed that I get in my garden. It spreads it's "legs" quickly and becomes a pain to get up. I'd like to know what the purple plant in the background is?

• Anne Breen

I call the purple perennial plant in #7 "Wandering Jew" it has tiny pink flowers. Here in Tucson AZ it dies back to the ground after a winter freeze, will grow in full summer sun and also tolerates shade. It will easily adapt to its environment and stem cuttings root easily in moist soil, once established it can even tolerate drought. GBYAY Anne Breen

• Lumen Castaneda

Sso sorry I have the first two picture in my garden only and I know they are celosia. The rest of the plant i cannot identify.

• S

The third one appears to be a butterfly weed, Asclepias. Probably pink in color as that varieties leaves are narrower. A very drought tolerant, later summer blooming, perennial. The fourth and fifth I would guess as a Balsam.

• Susie

purple plant in #7 is actually Setcresea pallida or purpurea (I have also seen it labelled as Tradescantia pal.)I was told by a local botanist that it was setcresea so that is what I am sticking with :-) - Mexican Hearts and Flowers or Purple Heart. I beat mine back to ground level every 2-3 years so it comes back nice and thick.

• Laurie K

Well, the ones with the yellow petals and big brown centers are Black-eyed Susans. The other flowers I am not sure about.