South Shore Shabby Shack
South Shore Shabby Shack
  • Apollo Beach, FL
Asked on Aug 10, 2013

What to Do With All of Our Crystal, Depression & Carnival Glass??

Morgane MessoriDoris StaubinEll29621460
+61

Well, we make Lawn Art, totem poles... We're currently making mushrooms & flowers and totems on poles....
what to do with all of our crystal depression carnival glass, repurposing upcycling
  • Valerie

Have a look at becky-s-crystaline-garden-window on Hometalk for a gorgeous idea!

• Sia@South 47th

Hi! I'm just curious. Are you using authentic carnival and depression glass?? Or (hopefully) reproductions? xox

• South Shore Shabby Shack

Both. So far only carnival & depression that aren't valued high/low resale value. :)

• Sia@South 47th

@Jill Smith BTW Carnival and depression glass go up and down in value. Prices for some are low d/t the economy. Save some if you can, your grandchildren will thank you! xoxo

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@ Valerie... Hi. Thank you for the 'hook up'... Don't you just love repurposing?? Too much fun!! Yes, we have window art too, just haven't posted pics yet. ...Our main thing is chalk painting furniture... lol :) This glass art is relatively new and something that we do on the side...

• South Shore Shabby Shack

Oh no problem there, for sure.. You should see my china cabinets, hutch & spare room.. lol Those are higher value and/or favorites of mine. I particularly LOVE Candlewick!! And pinks, purples, turquoise/aquas....

• I will take the carnival glass off of your hands -- very pricey and highly collectible so I would leave it in its original state.

• Vicki O

I saw someone break all of it apart in different sizes, some left in tact and glued in the panes of a empty window and hung!! it's like a sun catcher!!

• Valerie

I have thought of something else. If you installed glass shelves in front of one of your existing windows (one that you do not open and shut all the time) you could display them there, and get the benefit of a sun catcher (with all its magnificent rainbows) while keeping the glass in its original state. Provided that the window is not too wide, you could achieve this by putting supports on either side of the widow, and have the shelf across it. I would use a fairly thick piece of glass, not ordinary window glass, so that it can support the weight.

• Kathy

I think this fad is on the decline. People are no longer buying it at craft shows and it has disappeared from flower beds. I love using the carnival glass when I entertain even if that means I only get it out a few times a year.

• Teresa B

i am with Sia. it distresses me greatly to see people use antiques to repurpose. i love repurposing, but not using perfectly good antiques. like using a small chest to turn into a sink in a bathroom! that devalues the piece and then the world has lost one more beautiful antique. i love every piece of depression glass and antique i have.. i hope you are using reproductions.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Teresa B WOW..LOL didn't know this would cause such heartache.. lol I said that we use pieces that are of NO VALUE!!!!!! I have a ton of TRUE carnival and depression glass that I display in 3 different rooms in our house. I didn't realize that I needed to explain the pieces I posted. But, here it is... The pieces we are using ARE not TRUE depression or carnival... OR IF they are... they have very little value and/or defect of some kind. I have bought and sold Carnival & Depression glass for YEARS.... IN this economy they are not selling anything for what they should be worth... AND thanks to sites like eBay, the value will never be what it once was... I collect steamer trunks too and would never get what they should be worth, these days... with the internet, they just aren't that rare anymore. So, I enjoy them throughout my house... I have 12 total and will be left to our children. Finally, art & beauty...even the value of something, is in the eye of the beholder & purchaser... There are plenty of people that love this art form...and repurposing all those things that end up for .50 cents, collecting dust in a thrift store can be once again be glorious, even if it is in someone's flower bed. ... Happy collecting, crafting & repurposing. No judgment from me... :) <3

• Susan Stambaugh

I to love repourposeing but I am having a hard time with making lawn ornaments with it. I have pieces that are very collectable and I would never use them that way. Each to it's own but if you want to sell them I would be willing to see if there are any that fit into my collection.

• Sondra

These are highly collectible. Though the market is down somewhat, I'd never never make ornaments out of them. They're from a totally different era, if they are the real deal. Box those up or display your beautiful collection.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Sondra WOW..LOL didn't know this would cause such heartache.. lol I said that we use pieces that are of NO VALUE!!!!!! I have a ton of TRUE carnival and depression glass that I display in 3 different rooms in our house. I didn't realize that I needed to explain the pieces I posted. But, here it is... The pieces we are using ARE not TRUE depression or carnival... OR IF they are... they have very little value and/or defect of some kind. I have bought and sold Carnival & Depression glass for YEARS.... IN this economy they are not selling anything for what they should be worth... AND thanks to sites like eBay, the value will never be what it once was... I collect steamer trunks too and would never get what they should be worth, these days... with the internet, they just aren't that rare anymore. So, I enjoy them throughout my house... I have 12 total and will be left to our children. Finally, art & beauty...even the value of something, is in the eye of the beholder & purchaser... There are plenty of people that love this art form...and repurposing all those things that end up for .50 cents, collecting dust in a thrift store can be once again be glorious, even if it is in someone's flower bed. ... Happy collecting, crafting & repurposing. No judgment from me... :) <3

• Linda L

Jill, these are beautiful. The 'fad' is NOT on the 'decline' either. I was just at a Antique and Collectable Festival and a couple made well over $7000 in a weekend selling just repurposed glass items like your totems. I get many compliments for the 7 I have in my flower gardens. I too use depression glass that I purchased at resale stores, flea mkts and garage sales. Most are cheap, as some of them have chips and cracks and now are worthless. Awesome work, I love them.

• Renee

I think they look great! And you can most certainly do what you want with your things! lol! My mom and I shop thrift stores OFTEN just looking for things that we can repurpose! There's no telling how many true antiques we have ruined (if you want to call it that). But, isn't it better to repurpose it than for it to sit on a shelf or in a landfill. I recently caught a little of this for painting and repurposing an old dresser into a buffet. To each his own! Rock on lady!

• Elizabeth Johnson

Just a comment, these look like pieces of jewelry for your home. So beautiful.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Elizabeth Johnson Thank you! THANK YOU!! :) They are so pretty and so many people enjoy them!!! They are certainly being enjoyed a LOT more displayed that way, than they are at any time in my china cabinets & curios... or with a snack thrown on top of them... LOL :)

• South Shore Shabby Shack

WOW..LOL didn't know this would cause such heartache.. lol I said that we use pieces that are of NO VALUE!!!!!! I have a ton of TRUE carnival and depression glass that I display in 3 different rooms in our house. I didn't realize that I needed to explain the pieces I posted. But, here it is... The pieces we are using ARE not TRUE depression or carnival... OR IF they are... they have very little value and/or defect of some kind. I have bought and sold Carnival & Depression glass for YEARS.... IN this economy they are not selling anything for what they should be worth... AND thanks to sites like eBay, the value will never be what it once was... I collect steamer trunks too and would never get what they should be worth, these days... with the internet, they just aren't that rare anymore. So, I enjoy them throughout my house... I have 12 total and will be left to our children. Finally, art & beauty...even the value of something, is in the eye of the beholder & purchaser... There are plenty of people that love this art form...and repurposing all those things that end up for .50 cents, collecting dust in a thrift store can be once again be glorious, even if it is in someone's flower bed. ... Happy collecting, crafting & repurposing. No judgment from me... :) <3

• Mikell Paulson

Sell it to an antique store! I still shop for it as does my daughter!

• Debi McCoy

Being an owner of an antique shop glassware is NOT selling at all!!! A collector of a certain type of glassware may come in looking for something in particular, but 9 out of 10 customers walk by our beautiful display of vintage glassware. Younger folks don't want chochkies on their shelves -- they don't like to dust!!! It is a shame, but it is what it is. I'm not saying repurpose, I'm saying look for pieces with slight blemishes, flea bites, cracks, etc. I would put that in our bargain bin and take any offers just to get them out of the store!

• Bernice H

@Debi McCoy Thank you! In Jill's defense and adding to what you said here, I bought a piece of "good" glass ware at an antique shop like yours for ....3$....so does that make it valuable? It had been there a long time, and was dust covered, stuck away somewhere. the lady of the shop said the same thing, it just doesn't sell. I have a Planter's peanut jar with the Mr.Peanut hat and all on the outside. Looked it up and it wasn't worth more than a few bucks depending on who is selling it! However I always have this fear...this might be reallllly valuable, because I know nada about glass. Just that it is pretty!

• Debi McCoy

BTW this also includes china too!

• Tami Arthur

Thanks for your post. I have been selling these items like crazy! Yes I look for the blemished pieces and rework them. I also collect pieces for my home. Your collection is beautiful!

• Z

Hi @Jill, you are correct in that most people do not take the time to read anything but the original post if that much. In that respect if you want to keep anyone from having a heart attack ;^) you might want to change your subject because sadly people won't change.

• Sparkles

I do not understand how people can devalue such lovely old peices. If you no longer want them please send them to me where they will cherished and loved.

• Karon Nelson Roberts

OMG! I love the glassware! I don't understand why you want to destroy these beautiful pieces of American history. Even if your using pieces the are chipped, cracked, or whatever, it is still a part of American history. I know glassware(all types) are not of great value anymore. I have several milk glass items--one is valued at $675.00 and I paid $10.00 for it at a yard sale. But I would NEVER EVER repurpose any of them. If you decide to get rid any of your pieces, please send to me.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

Helloooooooo... you are NOT reading all of my posts here... LOL geez, this has gotten way out of control....you are overreacting for nothing... please read all of my posts/replies before replying... good grief...

• Karon Nelson Roberts

I'm not a negative person, I just don't agree with reporposeing glassware like this. You garden items are nice, but I just can't bring myeslf to use these beautiful pieces like that....

• Linda Martinez

Get a CLUE People, question, comment, critique HAS BEEN ANSWERED! Looking for good ideas here not whatever that was. :~}

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Linda Martinez LOL Thanks! ... I think they're just negative people... and jumped on the misery wagon.. lol ... It doesn't bother me... too much! I'm just stunned at what 'they' choose to read and understand.

• Linda Martinez

The first couple were lame but when it just kept going I had to comment. Loving this site, finding all kinds of projects and ideas, thank you~

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Linda Martinez I love Home Talk.. even better than Pinterest... Although, I spend a lot of time on both... so many things... so little time.. LOL :)

• Sparkles

@jillsmith I have read ALL of your post about them being of little or no value and chipped but I still think it is sad to lose history. Those at one time were cherished dishes to some family. I would never do that to the heritage dishes that have been passed down in the family NO matter the value of them. They may not be worth top dollar but they are still family memories. Although your work is very pretty and many of the dishes may have been found at flea markets and such it still saddens my heart to see what you have done.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Sparkles Your opinion... I'm not going to explain myself anymore... I've done nothing wrong. However, I will say this ... IF the glassware that I found, were such cherished memories in someone's family, then how did they end up in a thrift store or flea market? The one's that I own & hold on to and there are many, will be handed down to my girls... and what they choose to do with them will be their own business.. the end.

• Bernice H

hahahaha @Jill Smith you GO girl!!!!! hahahahahaa I am loving this! What a hoot! I totally agree with you, and you have explained yourself so well! hahahahahaaaaaaaa

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Bernice H LOL ... OMG, can you believe this?? I feel like I got on a train headed to "crazy town" with all these people... Dear Lord!! You would think that I went and defaced a national monument or something... And this insanity is unending!!

• Bernice H

@Linda Martinez glad you got in on the ...."discussion". Too funny. I also can't get enough of Hometalk, but now with so many on here, I have to watch my time and dedication. I don't go to Pinterest because I cant get through everything on here! @Jill Smith Hang in there kiddo! Still laughing as I bang my head against the wall! hahahaaaaaaa

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Bernice H I love you Bernice!!! LOL Now you are cracking me up!! ....LOL I'm laughing too... because it's CRAZY!!! At least we're having fun with it, huh??? My husband is laughing too... at how ridiculous some of these women are being... Who would've ever imagined... LOL BTW... I love what you did to china... LMBO!! I've done that too... does this mean we're evil... muuuaaaaaahhhhhhahahahahah

• Teri Mangus-Groh

Jill I love what you r doing. I do not think you a losing them just using them in a new way. Keep up the great work and forget the crazy train lol

• Sunny M

Ok ,everyone has an opinion,but what it boils down to is It's her glass wear and she wants to use it in this way. If you don't want to use yours in this way display yours in a place you can see the beauty and history everyday.

• Sondra

Breathing a sigh of relief. Nice of you to explained to everyone. Bet you didn't know you post would bring this many comments. Do have a good day.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

Thank you ladies that have given positive feedback and words of encouragement!! It is TRULY appreciated!!!

• Columbia1

I have collected some pieces of depression glass. I like it and will always like it, but in the end I may want to do a project with it rather than give it away or sell it. You do whatever you like. There are some good ideas on here for repurposing glass items. Give us some pictures for us to admire after you finish.

• South Shore Shabby Shack

@Columbia1 Thank you, Columbia1.. :) Enjoy yours too! Life's just too short to fret over such trivial things... I think it's a beautiful form of art.. :) thanks again!!

• Lisa Rodgers

I love the art of using something from long ago for a different purpose. My philosophy is if you squirl it away and don't use it in some way then you haven't done the piece any justice. It all ends up rust and dust !!!! Use it !!!!Make things beautiful again !!!!
  • Ell29621460

You can donate it to Goodwill or St Vincent de Paul and use it as a tax deduction. We use ours as serving dishes.
  • Doris Staubin

mu neice has been doing this for years, She has a lot of talent
  • Morgane Messori

to all of you wanting to save glassware, i have a blue grapevine carnival glass punchbowl set (short 1 cup) for sale. i came here looking to turn it into something else, but would rather sell it.