Polly Zieper
Polly Zieper
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL
Asked on Aug 11, 2013

Birdhouses

Polly ZieperKMS Woodworks
+2

two weeks left before school starts, any southerners out therewith advice about starting/making a birdhouse as a last project with my 4-yr old, before he starts elementary school, and starts getting homework?I've never made/had one before--do birds in s FL even need birdhouses/feeders?
  • KMS Woodworks

Nesting typically takes place in the spring and early summer. At least here and in most temperate climates. You could build now...and set it up but most likely will not see any use in it until the breeding season has returned.

• Polly Zieper

oh, thanks for the info, I figured birds might need to eat from it all yr long, i didn't realize that it would only be used during nesting season. In that case, I think I'll keep doing my research into the birds we have in this area, and what they eat, and maybe my son and i can start making something over his 2-week winter breakin Dec/Jan.

• KMS Woodworks

A bird house is for nesting...a feeder is used year round. You could build and use a feeder any time of the year.

• Polly Zieper

OK, then I guess I meant a bird feeder, thanks for explaining.

• Polly Zieper

Anyone have ideas for an easy bird feeder to make?