Lori J
Lori J
  • Broken Bow, NE
Asked on Aug 11, 2013

Plant Identification

Robin ShutLgsmithThelma Herschbach
+33

Sadly, my garden was demolished by hail, but I would still like to know what this flower is. It was gifted to me by an old man who admired my alley garden and felt I needed it. It is lovely, but nameless. It grows quite tall--over four feet, and is somewhat like a hollyhock in stem. However the buds cluster at the tops and result in these very papery and delicate white flowers--quite large and with that magenta center.
plant identification, flowers, gardening
  • Margery Orrison Snyder

Looks like a Rose of Sharon, but they are usually a bush or tree.

• Catherine Smith

Looks like hollyhocks to me. :) I have Rose of Sharon and that's not it.

• Maggie C

hollyhock. They spread.

• Hollyhock leaves are fuzzy and the blooms are different. I am leaning toward a Hibiscus and pretty positive that it is.

• Sandy Butzke

Looks like a hibiscus, which is the same family as rose of sharon.

• Terresa K

It's not a Hollyhock

• Glenda Thompson

This is a hardy hibiscus the seed pods look like rose of sharon, orka, cotton they are all from the same family.

• Lana C

This is definitely a hardy hibiscus. There are several varieties. My second favorite flowering plant. They get very large and the huge blossoms really show off in the garden late July almost up to frost here in Michigan. Unfortunately the japanese beetles love them too. Just google Hardy hibiscus and you will see all the wonderful varieties. Be careful not to confuse them with the tropical hibiscus which are not perennial in cold climates.

• Hardy hibiscus gets my vote too.

• Lori J

Thanks, folks. I knew it was NOT a hollyhock. Seems to need support, so it is in a tall tomato cage. It did not fare as badly as most of my garden, upon closer inspection today.

• Lorraine McLaney

It looks like what we in the south call a "dinner plate hibiscus".

• Lori J

They are so darned pretty!

• DebFA

It is a Hardy Hibiscus and know that it will die-back every fall and will come up each spring from the ground. If I find my plants needing support, I use a round frame used for peonies.

• It's definitely a hardy hibiscus - I have a red one blooming right now.

• Luis

Lori that is Rose of Sharon(Hibiscus syriacus) it comes in a variety of colors

• Denise

Definitely Rose of Sharon. They will grow into tall bushes and butterfly's love them!

• Stephanie

i could be wrong, but i do believe its a rose of sharon. which i believe in the hibiscus family

• Patti Lemaire

Rose of Sharon, a type of hibiscus. It grows as a large shrub in Ontario Canada.

• Linda Cullen

yes, I say Rose of Sharon....

• JuaCarMul

I first thought it was a Rose of Sharon until I looked closely at the foliage. I have some very old Rose of Sharon bushes that are sprouted everywhere now. From a very small plant, the stem is very sturdy and a tree-like brown color. Also, the leaves are shaped different. Ole Timers in the Appalachian South call them Dog Lilly also. Probably because they start blooming during Dogs Days of summer. Although a relative of the Rose of Sharon, I tend to agree that this is a Hibiscus of some type.

• Found & Fancied Goods

Looks like a Lunar Hibiscus. I have one in my garden.

• Peg

The Rose of Sharons and the Hibiscus have similar flowers. The Rose of Sharon will grow more dense/shrub like, leaves are different than most hardy hibiscus which is less compact. These flower buds in your pic resemble the hardy hibiscus, not the Rose of Sharon, this will help identify the plant. The Rose of Sharons have different leaves too.

plant identification, flowers, gardening, This is one of my Rose of Sharon take a look at the buds they have more of a fuzzy not quite the same as your plantplant identification, flowers, gardening, This is one of my Hardy Hibiscus notice how the buds are more like capsules Don t they resemble your plant
    • Peg

@The Garden Frog with C Renee Excellent !! Yes, that is definitely true and an obvious way to tell the difference too.

• P

Rose of Sharon...aka Hardy Hibiscus

• Judy

It's a hibiscus. It's a perennial which reseeds. I have them popping up in different parts of my garden.

• Karen

Rose of Sharon....hibiscus...perennial. I love the blooms, have several in my yard, the bees, hummingbirds love them, and you have to watch out for the squirrel as I've noticed they like to eat the flowers!

• Alice Harley-Wosnig

It isn't a Rose of Sharon. The foliage is different. They are related but not the same. Here is a link about Hibiscus http://www.homeofhibiscus.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=10

• Peg

confusing, yes! Rose of Sharon is from the "genus- hibiscus" which is from the "mallow family". There are over 200 species of hibiscus. Rose of Sharon, (the common name), is "hibiscus syriacus". Living in northern cold climates, a "hardy" hibiscus will survive the winters. I have a few "hardy" hibiscus, but they are not the same plant. Then there are all types of hibiscus from the tropics, Asia, Africa, China, Hawaii, ect that grow as potted plants up north and as perennials in the south. The hibiscus that I brought up from Florida grow in pots in NY and I bring them indoors for the winter. BTW - there is another "rose of sharon" plant from the "hypericum/St. John's wort.

• Lori J

Well, whatever it is, it is darned pretty and very thankfully, something that survived the hail and is blooming yet.

• Shelley Sansom

It is a Rose of Sharon like the others have already said. It's scientific name is Hibiscus syriacus and it belongs to the family Malvaceae. The family includes Hibiscus and Abutilon (Chinese Lanterns) they all have one thing in common a staminal column which is in the center of the flower and is the reproductive part of the plant. Some of my horticultural terms may be different to yours as I live in Australia.

• Debbie

definitely a perennial hibiscus. I have them in white like yours and pinks. I also have rose of Sharon's as well that grow like a large bush or small tree with a bark like limb. Your perennial stem will remain a green stem

• Thelma Herschbach

It looks more like the wild Hibiscus that is common in Southern Illinois.

• Robin Shut

moon Lillie's

• Lgsmith

Google "marsh mellow plant" and you will find this plant with flower and leaves that match yours. It grows wild here in the South.

• Robin Shut

thank you @Lgsmith, you set me down the right path since I have these in my backyard/marshland . With alittle more searching I found, swamp rose mallow aka Hibiscus Moscheutos aka hibiscus palustris