Kelly
Kelly
  • New Albany, IN
Asked on Aug 11, 2013

Plant Identification

Kelly360 Sod (Donna Dixson)Lynn
+5

Can anybody tell me what this is? It is a bush type with individual stalks. Very wispy like with a strange long slender fruit.
plant identification, gardening

Do you have a photo of when this was in flower?

• Kelly

No, but it seems as though I remember tiny white flowers in early spring. This was a gift and it has been growing for two years. It gets about 4 foot round and is beautiful almost like a grass. Since this was given to me indirectly, I haven't been able to identify it so far. Insects do not eat it at all, but I've seen large praying mantis in the bush. Thanks for your help.

• Kelly

This is another photo of the plant. It was taken after a rain so it's a bit droopy from the weight. Thank you for your help!

• Lynn

It looks like what we in Texas call ruellia and it has several different varieties which all appear differently. It can have purple/blue, pink, or white flowers, can get 4-5 feet tall and can be very invasive! There is also a trailing variety which I love with small purple flowers and 'fuzzy' leaves. Then there is the small compact Katie Ruellia which stays about 10 inches tall and doesn't really branch out. They spread underground and by rooting a trailing branch. Lovely if you want them where they are!

• Kelly

You're right, it does look like that! The only thing is, after looking at several images, I didn't notice that any of them had these long pod like things hanging everywhere like this one. But you are right, it is very similar for sure. Thank you!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

I think it might be dogbane if it has the long slender seed pods on it. If so, you might want to rid yourself of it, if you have dogs. If you break it does it exude a milky like sap? Take a look at this web site and see if it matches up better. http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/apcca.htm

• Kelly

Yes, this is it. I don't have dogs, but cats, yes. It is quite something to look at, so I will probably leave it there. Thank you so much! I have been trying forever to find out.