Libbie B
Libbie B
  • Wyoming, MI

Pallet Wall/Reclaimed Wood

$50.00
1.5 Days

I have wanted to add character to our Kitchen forever! It a basic layout with an abundance of orange oak cabinets. So the first step was to add a pallet wall. I LOVE the way it turned out....now on to those cabinets. )
pallet wall, diy, home decor, pallet, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas, wall decor
This is where we started.
This is where we started.
We painted the wall brown in case the boards didn't line up and the red would come blaring through.  We did have a few that were off....  Not many though.  I used 4 or 5 different stain colors and untreated pallet wood.
We painted the wall brown in case the boards didn't line up and the red would come blaring through. We did have a few that were off.... Not many though. I used 4 or 5 different stain colors and untreated pallet wood.
We laid them out in a random pattern that made sense as I had read on the internet.  But to be honest that went pretty quickly by the wayside due to room constraints.
We laid them out in a random pattern that made sense as I had read on the internet. But to be honest that went pretty quickly by the wayside due to room constraints.
Finished!!!  YAY!  I LOVE it.
Finished!!! YAY! I LOVE it.
Close up of texture
Close up of texture

Libbie B

• Michael

Where did you find the wood pieces?

• Libbie B

@Michael We used brand new pallets and took them apart (I got them from the place I work). I know that here in Grand Rapids, MI they have places that sell pallet wood for .50 a board. Which would still make this very economical. Pallet wood fit perfectly for the look I wanted as I was going for both color and rustic texture.

• S. Kennington

Did you nail the boards so the wall or staple?

• Daneice Curcuruto

I also would like to know how you applied boards to your wall.

• Libbie B

@S. Kennington We used a pneumatic nail gun. We were not concerned with the drywall as it had some water damage and was going to need to be replaced. An important tip is to paint the wall a dark color (we chose brown) so that any gaps in the pallets do not show through. :)

• Daneice Curcuruto

Thank you

• Fou6698062

Brilliant!!!

• Pga3946455

What did you use to secure them on the wall? Screws nails or glue?

• Libbie B

@Pgarza We used a pneumatic nail gun. It made quick work of the project and secured them solidly.

• User

I would just like to know about the paint colors. I love the wall and was wanting to do this in our living room, however till I saw yours I was just wanting to do ship lap. I love the painted boards adds another element! What colors did you use?

• Libbie B

@User I know we used stains we had here (the redwood color and the expresso from past projects) We bought, Minwax brand in classic gray, weathered oak, special walnut, and Jacobean. The light blue you see was the classic gray left unstirred using pigment from the bottom. I also mixed some of the darker stains with some of the grays directly on the boards. I knew which primary colors I was looking for and sort of went from there. I was not careful about it and love how the boards have color streaks in them. I have done a couple of other wood walls (one at work and one at a friends house) since this one and loved them all. This one is still my favorite because of the rustic feel. I love how the pallets are uneven in both color and texture. Best of luck!

, Side view
  • Kelley Wade Gonzales

How many pallets did it take to do the wall and how big is the wall? (BTW, this is just GORGEOUS).

• Libbie B

Thanks, Kelley! The wall is 8 ft x 20 ft and we used just over 50 -40 inch pallet boards. We made 3 sizes. We cut some in 1/2 and some in 1/3 and left some as they were. Our ceiling turned out not to be flush so at the top we had to shave a little off the boards to make them fit.

• Margaret Wells

did you paint the boards before and what did you use.

• Libbie B

Hello Margaret, We stained the pallets prior to attaching them to the wall. After we made cuts we also stained the ends so that the raw wood would not stick out and be obvious against the stained pieces.

• Shelley

I love the look, but worry about what chemicals are in the wood. What kind of pallets did you use?

• Olalune

How beautiful, i love this ! I have a question too. Did you just nail the pallets on the wall, or use screws and kingpins ? Was it very difficult to deconstruct the pallets ? I still haven't faced the task, but this is my first blockage…

• Libbie B

Olalune- We used a pneumatic nailer and attached the pallets directly to the wall. The wall had a bit of water damage so we weren't concerned with the nail holes as the drywall would need to be repaired regardless. Deconstructing pallets is not for the faint of heart but google it and there are several YouTube videos to make it easier. I cannot say this enough this DIY is EASY! We just added a fireplace pallet wall to a rental unit we have since we have had so much positive response.

, Fireplace at our rental property
  • Randi Shorie

What kind of stain did you use?

• Libbie B

Hello Randi, ( love your name by the way). I used several colors from minwax. I played with them a bit. The blue is actually a grey but unstirred. I used a weathered oak, a medium walnut and some leftover deck stain. I was able to get many colors from 3 or 4 stains. I hope this was helpful??

• Kimberly Lovitt

Awesome job on the wall and about the round wall accent, did you make this cause I'd love to have this on my den wall?

• Libbie B

Thanks! I love it too. I bought it from a local store here in town, but check World Market. They carried a very similar piece a few months ago.

• Debora Fox

Did you put any type of sealer on after putting up the boards?

• Libbie B

We did not! I cleaned them thoroughly before we installed but did not seal. I can say that after 2.5 years they still look great! On occasion I do run a vacuum across the wall. Mostly because we share our home with two very furry dogs!

• Dina Alviar

Did the planks get glued onto the wall or were they nailed/screwed in?
  • Jane Poole

Would this work in a bathroom? Or would the wood be too susceptible to mildew?
  • Debbie

is there trim molding at ceiling or do boards go to ceiling
    • Libbie B

Our boards go to the ceiling. It was pretty flush but one board had to be shaved a tiny bit.
  • Reese Tallgrass

Where did you get the wood?
    • Lori Sue Flaker

Live in Ohio. Where could I get this wood?
    • Doc

The description said it's pallet wood. You just need to find and dismantle pallets and paint or paint wash them.

• Racheal clark

What did you use to attach to the wall? Nails, screws or adhesive??
    • Libbie B

Hey Racheal, I know your hometown well. Grew up in A2. Hello from Grand Rapids. We used a pneumatic nailer to attach the boards to the wall. It was quick and easy and we knew that we were going to have to repair it at some point because we had a bit of water damage to begin with. I believe you can rent them pretty inexpensively. Good luck!
    • Cesar Juarez

liquid nail And finish nails
  • Angie Wimsatt-Stanley

it looks like you have had your wall up for a few years now, is it hard to dust and how is it holding up?
  • Karen

Did you have to engage an electrician to adjust any outlets or switches on your wall?
    • Libbie B

We didn't need to. We bought a plug that brought the outlet flush and the light switch we left inset.

• Mitsy Chester

What type of stain did you use?

• Libbie B

I used a combo of stains I had left over from other projects. They were all oil based stains by Min Wax. The blues you see are actually grey stains without mixing up the pigment.

• Keeshia Hamby Dresko

Curious on a couple of aspects. You spent $50, what exactly on? Are the planks sanded at all? Are these just plain good old pallets that you can acquire for free? Also, were they nailed or screwed in? We live in an apartment that I am almost at my threshold of living with off white walls! Thank you!

• Libbie B

The money was spent on stain and nails. The pallets were free( unsanded) and we used a pneumatic nailer to attach them to the wall. For an apartment have you thought of removable wallpaper?

• Dea34350310

How did you get the red color? Im doing a wood wall in my sons bedroom and im wanting to add a red.....

Thank you so much

• Libbie B

It was a stain we had leftover from another project. It was a cherry stain that I did not stir well giving it a bit more pigment.

• Margaret Howard

Did you have to work around any electrical outlets? I’ve wanted to do this, but have an outlet at bottom of wall. If I attach a 1” thick plank on the wall around it, I would think that would prevent me from using the outlet because the plank sticks out too far. Plus when you put back the outlet cover over plank it would look weird. Haven’t seen any tutorials about how to do this with outlet so far. Any ideas?

• Penny

What lengths did you cut the boards? How many different lengths did you use?

• Libbie B

I used 3 lengths (it was easier for my husband that way. We used some the length they came in. Some we cut in half and a few we cut in thirds. That way they all fit the wall in different configurations. Make sense? Not sure I'm explaining it well! Good Luck!

• Libbie B

Love that! It adds such character to a space.

• Joanie

I love your wall........it sure looks nice. Great job. I like the cabinet on the right, with the plants on each side. I am inspired, but that round shelf distracts. A nice t.v. would be the thing.....You watch t.v. and also admire your beautiful wall. I can see it now......