Kelly W
Kelly W
  • Bay Shore, NY
Asked on Aug 12, 2013

Unknown Flower

JanBWandaSilvan Johnson
+11

So I seen this flower here and there along the railroad tracks in nothing but weeds, very vibrant color, so I pulled over, crazy I know but I carry a small shovel for this exact situation, and I dug some up to bring home. It has like a tuberous root or a rhizome that is horizontally seated of to the side of the actual plant, so when you pull it up it's like an L. Can anyone identify. I'm gonna call it rail road till I find out what it is, lol. Thanks guys.
unknown flower, flowers, gardening
  • Barb Rosen

Your pretty plant is the native perennial asclepia tuberosa or Butterfly Weed, Kelly! Here's a little bit about it http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ASTU

• Kelly W

No way, I thought that, so since I dug it up from it's natural habitat u think it will make it. The spot I took it from was full sun, on the side of the rail road, so it was dry, the only difference is it will get water here. Also do you know if it is aggressive.

• Barb Rosen

@Kelly W ~ Give it sun and it needs water to get established ,then is pretty drought tolerant. Not aggressive but will spread a little each year. A favorite of butterflies, hence its name : )

My asclepias self-sows with abandon, but I like the way it just tucks itself between other things, and they're very easy to pull up where you don't want them. Definitely worth it for the butterflies.

• Donna Hathaway

@ Kelly W. Butterfly Weed, I have some in my garden. I don't see many butterflies around it but lots of honey bee's

• Lori

Yup this is Butterfly Weed. It is a member of the Milkweed family, and spreads freely by seed. The butterflies love it! I have it by my inground pool in an area where the soil tends to be dry. It does very well, easy to care for. I love the orange flowers!

• LOLA ADAMS

Help answer this question...back home in West Virginia we call it butterfly weed it is very prolific I had a butterfly garden and transplanted many to my garden.. if you like butterflies this plants name is well deserved after transplanting several to my own garden the butterfly population more then doubled

• Katherine W

It is butterfly weed.

• Peg

You new butterfly weed will be a nice addition to your garden. Very sturdy plants, tolerates dry conditions. There's a darker red variety too. Mix it in with assorted Bee's Balm for color variety. You'll get plenty of butterflies and bees!

• Plant asclepias and the bees and butterflies will come. Grows in the ditches around here in select areas.

• Beth

agreed, asclepias.

• Silvan Johnson

Yep, Butterfly Weed, I have some in my garden that I though died last year, but came back beautifully this year! And the butterflys do like them :)

• Wanda

Yes, this is a butterfly weed. Especially favorite of the monarch whose population is on a decline due to lack of food sources and a number of other disasters.

• JanB

Please see this article! http://www.monarchwatch.org/