Angela Hodges
Angela Hodges
  • Carlsbad, CA
Asked on Aug 12, 2013

HELP! NEED TO TLC THIS BACK TO LIFE!!

Jean DeSavageEileen StableinZ
+4

Anyone have any suggestions on the best way to clean and paint this coffee table we got for FREE! The base; pictured here, is metal and has a glass insert. But it's mainly the base that needs MAJOR help!
help need to tlc this back to life, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling
  • KMS Woodworks

Is it Stainless Steel? I have always loved the look of a "brushed" finish on stainless. This can be done with sanding in a uniform direction. Differing grits will yield differing appearance. The finer the grit the more "polished" the look. 150 grit is a good starting point.

• From the pic, I would clean it up with a good cleaner and then spray paint it with Rustoleums Hammered spray paint. I have used this on bathroom fixtures, light fixtures and even table bases. I would prime first then paint to make sure you get a good adhesion. The hammered spray paint covers any flaws and it not a seamless spray so any mess ups you cannot tell!

• Carissa Harris

I love the black hammered spray paint, it covers really well, I use it a lot around my house! I agree with using that to cover any flaws it might have!

• Sia@South 47th

Give it a really good cleaning, then sand. Then you are ready to paint in whatever suits your decor or look you are going for. Textured paint will indeed cover flaws. Be sure to show us your "reveal"!! xox

• Z

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but my guess would be a good cleaning and polishing with Brasso. http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/brassopolish/ for more information.

• Eileen Stablein

Why not gold leaf the bottom and then etch the glass with a delicate pattern of flowers of something to your liking. Eileen

• Jean DeSavage

Depending on your budget, look in the phone book for "powder coating" This is actually not terribly expensive. They give it an industrial cleaning, and then use a special powder coat "paint" that is then baked on. They have all kinds of colors and finishes available. This is a very durable finish and lasts a long time.