Nancy Dean Davis
Nancy Dean Davis
  • Circleville, OH
Asked on Aug 12, 2013

Cannot get paint removed

LizTerra GazelleKathy McFarland Milligan
+22

I bought this beautiful vintage floor lamp. It is painted gold, pink and blue....not exactly what I want. I did sand the top wood enough to know it is pink under everything. Normally I would use my homemade lye, cornstarch and water to remove the paint but I am not sure what the wood is and if it is too soft it would get damaged. I have used paint remover to no avail. Suggestions of a great paint remover?
Beautiful flourish
Beautiful flourish
The finial
The finial
The double light with chain
The double light with chain
Area around the top
Area around the top
The base with tons of rust.  It is now removed but will show you that when the project is completed.
The base with tons of rust. It is now removed but will show you that when the project is completed.
Close up of base
Close up of base
  • Catherine White

Chalk paint, or Annie Sloan paint (which is chalk paint) will cover any surface. no need to sand or prime. Have you tried chalk paint?

• KMS Woodworks

I would have all of the metal parts sand blasted... this is the best for preserving the detail and removing the rust.

• Sia@South 47th

Please don't Chalk paint this, I beg you!!!!

• Nancy Dean Davis

lol what do you suggest?

• Sia@South 47th

@Nancy Dean Davis Well it's going to be a lot of work, but I suggest cleaning it up and leaving as much of the original patina as possible. Then remember when you were asking about parts for the lamp? Finding those as getting it back to working condition. This is a wonderful old find. I think she's screaming "Please don't paint me". Whatever you decide will be lovely!! xox

• Nancy Dean Davis

@Catherine White @KMS Woodworks The gold is paint except the base. @Sia@South 47th I make my own chalk and milk paint.

• I saw a trick somewhere, where you use the citrus stripper and a plastic sheet to cover it, supposedly this took the paint off quicker and cleaner. Let me see if I can find it on my pinterest boards and I'll link it for you.

• http://justimagine-ddoc.com/crafts/tips-and-tricks-to-ensure-a-perfect-paint-job/?pid=12232 Here's the link, doesn't really give much information but seems self explanatory.

• Nancy Dean Davis

@Naomi Grace Thank you that would be great!

• Kat Tellez

Paint stripper should make quick work of it without damaging the wood. Just brush it on, cover with a trash bag and let sit for an hour. The gently scrape it away and finish up with a wire brush and maybe a little sandpaper for the stubborn bits.

• Terra Gazelle

Primer it with metal paint primer and paint it with metal paint...that paint comes in many colors and the look can be unique.

• Therese Ryan-Haas

Try a body shop, or even a motorcycle shop. They will have a booth for sand blasting parts. That is if you can take it apart. If not just covering wood parts with heavy tape should do if they have a booth large enough for it.

• Phil Miller

If your husband has an air compressor, you can buy a nozzle cheap that will suck sand out of a bucket and blast it on the stand. You will be amazed at how fast it will work. On wood and metal, you now have a stripper for other projects.

• Therese Ryan-Haas

Thanks @Phil Miller ! I didn't know that. Don't think he will be opposed to buying another tool :)

• Debra Peters

I think I would try leaving it in as original condition as possible. Clean it gently, but let the original shine!!

• House Of Hawthornes

No suggestions, but it sure is a neat piece. I'll look forward to seeing it all dolled up.

• Elizabeth Bowen-droneburg

I don't have any ideas, either, just want to see the finished product.

• KMS Woodworks

Sand blasting with baking soda is even better as you do not need a booth... http://www.paintersandcleaners.com/industrial-sandblasting-baking-soda.asp

• Louise Adkins

Spray paint comes in a wide variety of finishes and colors. It works wonders to revive an item.

• Nikki

Citra solve worked great every time I used it. It gentle and smells like oranges, so you don't have to deal with a lot of fumes. I have also used regular nail polish remover for removing traces of paint on metal that I just couldn't seem to get off on some outdoor chairs around the screws and bolts, I dipped a Qtip in the acetone nail polish remover and it took the paint right off. Good Luck its a beautiful lamp =)

• Kathy McFarland Milligan

Power washer might work

• Terra Gazelle

Citristrip is great..no harsh smells, its natural, thick and not sloppy..no drips. It is fast working and I removed the paint and ancient varnish off of the whole project in a few hours..stopping for lunch and house work. Do a light sanding first too allow the Citristrip to penetrate better... I got it at lowes..and its very reasonable in price.

• Liz

Yes the gel stripper. Cover with plastic and leave over-night and hose off in the morning