Naomi
Naomi
  • Bensalem, PA
Asked on Aug 12, 2013

Can anyone tell me what kind of bug this is?

ShaunVickiSia@South 47th
+9

So a few weeks ago we found this flying friend at my husband's parent's house. Ever since, I've been meaning to ask you guys on Hometalk- what the heck was it?? It was HUGE! (much bigger than a moth). Any ideas?
can anyone tell me what kind of bug this is, pest control
  • Carole

Looks like a moth to me. We get some pretty big moths here in Australia. I would Google "big moth" or something like that and see if this creature comes up in any images!

• Naomi

@Carole Just took a look and I didn't see my little friend from the picture, but wow, some of those suckers are enormous!

• Carole

Looks like a pale brown hawk moth? I would expect some difference between male and female but this looks close if not exactly the same as your critter.

• William Gant

I'm not sure, but I saw one on my patio, last night...

• She320623

@William Gant I am looking for either William Gant or Edgar Gant who lived in Brazoria County, Texas as a youngster/teen. I am searching for my family member who lived in BCYH during the 70s. My email is sherri_evans@att.net.

• Sandra Parrill

It IS a moth, a variety of hawk or sphinx moth. Not our largest native moth, but pretty big all the same. Comes from one of the caterpillars related to the tomato worm. There are many varieties and most of them do not eat tomatoes.

• Yes, we have them here too. I tend to stay out of their way:)

• Naomi

@Sensible Gardening and Living haha I hear that- I didn't even take the picture. my little brother in law took it while I was basically hiding.

• Sia@South 47th

I've seen these as well. I kind of like them because they are so unusual. but then I'm strange like that ;)

• Vicki

wow, interesting looking moth. look like sphinx?

• Naomi

@Vicki I looked up sphinx moth after your comment and from the pictures, it does appear to be a good possibility. There was a line about sphinx moths in what I was reading that said a certain type are "commonly mistaken for birds"- that explains my first thought which was- "That's no moth, that's a bird!!!" Thanks for the input!

• Shaun

ick!