Asked on Aug 12, 2013

Need ideas for planter watering - can't afford glass water globes?

Debra SligarKathyCatherine Smith

I need ideas for how to create a watering system (without a hose) for planters on hot days or when unable to water plants. I used those glass globes for a while, but really need an idea for something that I can make myself. Any ideas would be MUCH, MUCH appreciated!!
  • Catherine Smith

You can use 2 liter soda bottles in the same way as the glass globes. Or you can set up a wicking system, depending on the size of your planters. I use cotton cord tucked into the edge of the planter buried in the soil with the other end in a container of water.

• Kathy

Empty wine bottles, filled with water and turned upside in flower pots, work just like the glass globes! For larger planters, put a empty plastic bottle with the top cut off and a few holes, in the middle of the planter. Fill bottle with water and water will slowly drip into the dirt. Good Luck, Kathy

• Debra Sligar

I use plastic bottles, but I leave about an inch when I cut the bottom. This acts like a hinge and the bottom of the bottle falls back into place and keeps out mosquitos.