Debra Sligar
Debra Sligar
  • Dugger, IN
Asked on Aug 12, 2013

Hypertufa pots!

Vickie ferrellFeral TurtleTammy@Deja Vue Designs
+5

I am attempting to make a hypertufa (sp?) pot. When it came out of the mold it is holding its shape, but easily crumbles. Never having made one I don't know if this is right. I am used to working with concrete that is more stable. Do I need to mix more concrete into the mix or am I jumping the gun? Help!!!
hypertufa pots, concrete masonry, gardening
  • Miriam I

I'm tagging a few people who I know have used hypertufa @Barb Rosen @House Of Hawthornes @Drought Smart Plants

• Barb Rosen

Debra ~ I attended a workshop to learn how to make hypertufa and they suggest adding an acrylic bonding agent (a liquid) and concrete reinforcing fibers to make the pieces more durable. Here's the write up I did on the workshop. http://ourfairfieldhomeandgarden.com/diy-project-thedch-hypertufa-workshop/ Also, it should "cure" for at least three days while covered to set up before you take it out of the mold. Check your ratios of ingredients as well, sometimes too much or too little liquid can make the hypertufa crumbly. Hope that helps : )

• Drought Smart Plants

Love hypertufa! Do you want a post on it?

• Valerie

@Drought Smart Plants Your posts are always so informative. I, for one, would welcome such a post!

• Drought Smart Plants

It might have to be more than one, because it's such an extensive subject, but I'll give it a shot - thanks for the motivation, @Valerie

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

Yes. .make sure your ingredients are well mixed, and cure well. I don't use the bonding agent. .. but I'm sure that would fix the issue.

• Feral Turtle

Hi Debra. I use 1 part each of peat moss, portland cement, and perlite and just enough water to keep a stiff mix Mixing thoroughly is important, but keeping the finished product under plastic and misting it down with water is very important. Even after I remove the finished product from the mold, I keep plastic and moisture around it for about a week. Hope this helps and good luck!

• Vickie ferrell

can you buy these