How to Make a Stackable Pumpkin Address Door Hanger

$30

In years past I've seen where people have stacked pumpkins and put them in a planter--with or without their street numbers on them--so I was going to take a stab at it myself this year and make one for our home with my own touches to it. However, when I went to Michaels this week to get the supplies, I spotted the half pumpkins there that I had started seeing last year; my wheels started turning and I made it my mission to create a stackable pumpkin address door hanger. All-in-all I'm really pleased with how this project came out!
I know the alignment is a little off but I'm really digging this door hanger. I'm obsessed with white pumpkins--of course regular 'ole orange ones are nice--but there's something about the white that is so classy and you can do so much with.
Supplies: -half pumpkins (I only needed three of them but obviously you should get as many of them as you have numbers in your street address.) -metal numbers (or wood numbers if you prefer) -white (flat) spray paint -burlap wire ribbon (or any wire ribbon if you even want ribbon on your hanger) -barley shoots (or any other flowers/greenery) -E6000 -hot glue gun/sticks -raffia Not pictured: -box cutter

STEP 1: Attach pumpkins together Ok so I hope this doesn't confuse anyone but stick with me here as I try and explain this... For starters, when I did this project, I made the mistake of painting my pumpkins first. DON'T DO THAT! The adhesive will rub the paint off and it'll be messy so paint them AFTER you attach them. The first thing you want to do is take a box cutter and CAREFULLY/SAFELY cut the stem off of all of your pumpkins EXCEPT FOR ONE (you'll want to be able to see the stem of the top pumpkin in your stack when it hangs on your door). Next, apply E6000 to the bottom of all of your pumpkins EXCEPT FOR ONE (this WILL BE one of the pumpkins you cut the stem off of, but it will be the last pumpkin on your door hanger so the top of it will have E6000 on it since it will be stuck to the bottom of the pumpkin above it...make sense?). Then, with all of the pumpkins laying on their flat/back side, put them together where they are touching. Remember, there should only be ONE pumpkin with a stem (this one goes to the very top) and ONE pumpkin with no E6000 on it's bottom (this one goes to the very bottom). ***Note: When applying the E6000, make sure to put it on the pumpkin and let it sit for a minute or 2, THEN join it to the next pumpkin. Let the joined pumpkins sit overnight to ensure they have dried and are adhered to each other.
STEP 2: Paint pumpkins As I mentioned before, you'll want to spray paint your pumpkins AFTER they are adhered to each other. It just makes life easier and less messy. Two coats should be enough coverage if you're using white paint.
STEP 3: Adhere numbers to pumpkins Next, apply hot glue to the back of your numbers and attach them to your pumpkins. As mentioned in the supplies list, instead of buying numbers, you could also create or buy a stencil and paint your numbers on. I would suggest using Behr exterior acrylic paint or something similar--I use this for pretty much any project I'm using paint on.
STEP 4: Gussy up your pumpkins Gussy up...make pretty...add bells and whistles...add your touch...however you want to put it. I always have raffia on hand and a variety of ribbon, and I picked up a bunch of barley at Michaels, so I chose to do sort of a shabby chic harvest theme with my door hanger. I cut two strands of raffia for each area where my pumpkins joined, tied them off in a knot and cut the excess. Then, I stuck a few barley sprigs in the raffia and hot glued the ends of some of the barley to the pumpkins so they all weren't sticking out straight. After that, I made a bow out of my burlap ribbon and hot glued it on the top pumpkin. The half pumpkins come with a keyhole on the back for hanging so since I already had a nail in my front door, I hung it there.
We don't use our front door but you can see it from the road so I always like dressing it up and this is the perfect addition to my fall decor! When I shut the door and opened it again, I don't recall having any issues with the pumpkin hanger smacking against the door which is nice in the event I want to have my front door open this fall when we start getting that nice, crisp breeze.

• Connie

I love this!! Where did you get the half pumpkins? I have never seen them before! Thank you!!

• Linda Holland

I Love it. One good project then the juices flow with more ideas!!!
      Keep it up ladies!!!
  • Heidi

Very cute! What did u use to hang pumpkins? You mentioned that you didn't hear "pumpkin hanger hitting your door".

• These particular half pumpkins already come with a little key hole notched in the top of each of them so I simply hung mine on a nail that was already nailed into my front door.

• Pamela Davis

Can you use E6000 on a glass cake plate? My glass cake plate pedestal came off.

• Jos31475577

Yes I always work with glassware at Christmas gifts, baby shower gift. I alway use E6000. Never had and problem with it holding.