Carissa Harris
Carissa Harris
  • Canton, GA

Old Base Cabinets Repurposed to Kitchen Island

I took a pair of old base cabinets pulled from my brother's home renovation (free!!!). These cabinets were from the 50's, and were molded and stained, and not even the same height. They were really rough and starting to fall apart. I cleaned them up, leveled them, painted, added new hardware, legs, and a wooden top. I am extremely pleased with how it turned out, and can't wait to paint the rest of the cabinets in the kitchen to match.
These cabinets were in really rough shape, but solid enough to work with. And they were free.
The Yuengling was an essential tool. ;)
The Yuengling was an essential tool. ;)
I added plywood and connected the cabinets, and made them the same height.
I added beadboard and trim.
I added beadboard and trim.
I got some outdoor deck posts to use for legs, which were much cheaper than other leg options, they just needed extra sanding. This is just getting an idea how they will look.
Getting an idea of how the legs will look, and how far to have the top extend from the cabinets.
Everything was sanded and got two coats of Bin primer.
I painted the legs and cabinets and attached new hardware.
The top was made from red oak boards, glued together using a biscuit joiner and wood glue. It was sanded, prestained, stained dark walnut, with 3 coats of polyurethane. Legs aren't attached yet, just shows how it will attach.
Final result!!! Very pleased with how this turned out. Now I am working on stools to match, and then getting started on painting the rest of my kitchen cabinets.
We added a rustic looking bottle opener to the side.
old base cabinets repurposed to kitchen island, diy, how to, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, kitchen island, outdoor furniture, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, rustic furniture, woodworking projects

• Drew Walters

Sorry if this is a repeat but I'm new to the site so not sure if it went through. How long did the project take?

• Carissa Harris

I worked on it a little bit at a time, after work and on the weekends for a couple of weeks. I would say between painting/staining and the drying time needed, this could be done in 2 weekends.

• Matty watts

Lovin this . The open shelf as you said great for cutting boards. Under the legs great for cat/dog food or trash can❤️

• Lorraine Aha

Why is one of the drawers missing?

• Edianna Yantis

What are you going to do with the top drawer space you left open?

• Ski13871806

This idea could be used for a work bench in the garage. the draws would a good place for your power tools or tools used frequently. Paint it a red or a favorite guy color, also add heavy duty wheels. Look for these items at Habitat for Humanity store or Goodwill store.

• San15504650

Very smart idea no room for it but always looking at them!