1970's Kitchen Gets a Modern Farmhouse Makeover!

Our 1978 kitchen needed a complete overhaul so we did just that! Check out how we transformed dark and dated to bright and modern!

First things first, the kitchen floor plan was terribly closed off and tiny. We took out one entire wall and enlarged the floor plan by at least 4 feet.

Next up, we finished tearing out the rest of the cabinets and soffit, and then installed 5" wide Pine Plank hardwood floors.

The stain color is Early American by MinWax. After flooring was finished, we installed new cabinets that we bought from Ikea.

Once all of the cabinets were installed, we topped them with Carrara Marble. I absolutely love the look and feel of marble!

Shiplap adorning the walls finished out the look of our modern farmhouse and here's the after.

The open shelving allows me to utilize practical storage as well as tons of styling opportunities.

Thanks for looking at our kitchen makeover! If you've liked what you've seen here, I hope you'll check out my blog where I have many more before and after photos of my projects along with source lists and paint colors!! Click the link added:) Have a great day!

Kayla Payne

• Ale3381663

Is that a world map in your dining area??? If so, where did you find it? I ❤️ It!!

• Kayla Payne

Map of the US was purchased from an estate sale!

• Sonja Hansen

I was searching for some smaller maps last week. There are a lot available online if you do a search. I found the ones I wanted on AMazon and E-bay. May problem was finding the small ones. There were a lot of large ones available.

• Sonja Hansen

My problem, not may. LOL

• Sandra Powell

Did you buy flooring, because you mentioned you stained it ?

• Bobbi Johnson Mackedanz

where did you get the light fixtures?

• Kayla Payne

Hey Bobbi. Joss and main. Also, I have all the sources listed in my blog post about it. The link I added will take u straight there:)

• Nona Walker

Where is the refrigerator?

• Suzanne

Can you tell me where you bought the stools?

• Annaliesa Carter

I would really be interested in where you got your hanging lights? With glass covers?

• Mon8385100

We're the cabinets expensive and are they good quality?

• Jackie Byrd

About how much did the gorgeous rehab cost?

• Mar3090805

Where can I buy the shelving you used? Your kitchen is gorgeous!

• Kayla Payne

Shelves are 2x12" pine boards from Home Depot that I sanded and stained. I bought the brackets off of Etsy!

• Dee B

Amazing redo! Did you take out a wall? It looks more than twice the original space.

• Dee B

Sorry ! Read first, then ask questions. Of course you said you took out the wall. Wonderful transformation! You knocked this one out of the park.

• S

Looks beautiful, but have a few questions: Did you lose much storage by taking down all those upper cabinets, or did the addition of those deep drawers make up for it? Is the ship lap easy to keep clean behind the stove? How do you like using a knee-level microwave?

• Kayla Payne

We lost some covered storage by putting up the shelves, yes. But there is still plenty of covered storage in the kitchen for my needs. in fact, most of my upper cabinets on the other side of the room are empty! I really love the deep drawers on the bottom! They hold so much more than you'd expect. The shiplap has proven easy to clean so far, just wipe down with soapy water when needed. As for the microwave, it's been okay to have it lower. Ideally I would like it at counter height level, but I was not about to lose counter space to a microwave! I really wish I didn't have one at all because I just hate the look of them! But I couldn't give it up:)

• Style-Sack

Maybe I missed it in the pcitures but what did you use for splashback and did you reline the walls? Ty

• Debra Rowland

What color did you paint the cabinets?

• Veronica

Hello, beautiful transformation. I love your pendant lights above your island can you tell me the name and where you purchased them. Thanks again

veronica

• Robin

Is that the front door - in the kitchen?

• Charl

How do you like IKEA cabinets...good value? We’re considering IKEA. Thanks. BTW, beautiful!!

• Tammy Thompson

Fantastic! Such an inspiration! Where did you get your pendant lights? I love them!

• Irene Gronewald

you`s did the ceilings also...is this a 10,000 dollar plus update? absolutely gorgeous and looks to be a 50,000 upgrade...

• Liz

WOW!!! What a difference. Absolutely gorgeous, I bet you love cooking there. I too would be interested in the Ikea cabinets. Are they wood or pressed board, do you know.

• Jaynie

Most IKEA cabinets are MDF with wood veneer, laquer, acrylic - and/or combinations of all. Check out the IKEA website - every product has a list of products used in the construction.

• Diane Dumas

My sister did Ikea black cabinets beautiful!

• Alton

Very nice job!!

• Lynn

Sooooooooo cute

• Margaret E. Bates

Dont your dishes get dusty out in the open that way? It looks terrific though...the whole kitchen!

• Mark

I was wondering same thing Margaret.

• Linda Nye

I was thinking the same thing. It's pretty, but unsanitary, impractical and will eventually become outdated. I love the wood flooring, but wood, in my opinion is not ideal for kitchens. Marble is more porous than granite & stains quickly. It also is pron to chipping.

• Darla Arndt

I think if I did this, I would only put dishes that get used daily on the shelves like plates, bowls and cups. I would do glasses, because grease, dirt and oils used in cooking would really show on clear glasses.

• Tanya

Is your house dusty

• Lilly

about how much did all this cost??

• Janice

When knocking out the wall and soffit did you have to hire a engineer?

• Amanda Esterday

Love the update ,but doesn't it bother you that you'll have to update it again in just a few years since you went with a very trendy look? That's the problem I'm having in my kitchen at the moment. I have a 1940's kitchen that I love, but it needs to be updated. I'm trying to figure out how to update it with a classic look that will be in style, and as cherished as long as my Classic 1940's kitchen has been.

• Megan

I think hat she went with an extremely classic yet updated look. Trendy? Yes but classic too.

• Nora

The only thing "trendy" that I see is the beautiful grey painted cabinets. Pretty sure they won't look outdated soon, but they can always be repainted. Love it!

• Margie Hood

A clean classy look will always be in style..she went with a style that will always be around..its neutral,no trendy decor or patterns..its perfect and the only thing that she would need or want changed really would be the grey colored cabinets..I love love it..

• Elizabeth Brasel

Leave the great alone

• Leslie Johnson

I love it!

I have always wondered if the Edison lights are too bright? I can do this too but have hesitated because while I love light! I also don’t want it to be stark.

Thank you, Leslie

• Connie West

I have Black/Slate counter tops with the Gray(as in your pictures) cabinets. I feel I made a mistake in getting the Black counter tops....what can I do to brighten it up in my kitchen.....I was thinking to paint my kitchen all white/ an Off white or throw some Beige with white cabinets and silver hardware? Your thoughts please! My kitchen is VERY similar to the one your showing.

• Ramona Plascensia

Sounds like unique colors. Stainless steel accents would look nice and brighten it up...even stainless steel accent backsplash.

• Linda

Good job. What color are the cabinets? (Is this information in the text and I didn't see it?)

• Mcgypsy9

Linda if you go to her blog you will find that the cabinets are from IKEA and they came with the paint in that color.

• Barbara

I noticed that you installed big drawers instead of regular cabinets with doors on the stove side, I recently read that doing that is so much better. Do you agree that drawers are better than cabinets? I'm thinking of going with drawers when I redo my kitchen. Love your upgrade!

• Denise

I redid my kitchen recently and we decided on big drawers. They’re easier on my back and I’m getting too old to get down on the floor to get things out of a lower cabinet.

• Lovesunique

When I redid our cabinets I chose big drawers (hold a lot of pots and pans and are deep) and I also chose sliding shelves. If I had it to do over I would have all big drawers. Things fall off the back of the sliding shelves and they do not hold the weight that the drawers do. Plus with shelving you have to always open doors and sometimes the shelves scrape if the doors aren't opened wide enough.

• Michelle

I would highly suggest drawers. I wish I would of had more big drawers installed instead of cabinets when remodeled our kitchen.

• Lynn

Definately better then cupboards.

• Susie Briski

Absolutely the best!

• Jjqq

So, was this a DIY project- or just hired others to put in new floors and cabinets , countertops, etc? It’s very nice -

• MaryAnn

Beautiful, bright, and Big! Love the new refrigerator and the drawer cabinets. The flooring is beautiful. A great renovation.

• Kim

It’s beautiful but a bit more than a typical DIY project. When I first opened, I expected to see revamps or upgrades to existing; however, it’s a totally different kitchen with new floor plan, cabinets, floors, pretty much everything. I would definitely cal this a gorgeous remodel!!