Christmas Gift Bag Makeover With House Paint and Cereal Box

$0.00

I don't know about you but I have a bunch of gift bags saved up from all different occasions but somehow when I go to wrap a gift I never have the right bag. This weekend my family has their annual birthday gathering were we lump all of the birthdays into one so I was in need of several gift bags. But of course all I had were Christmas bags.

So I went to work on them with some left over house paint. The easiest way to paint them is from the bottom to the top, allowing them to dry at the half way point.

I used a 2" inch brush so the painting went pretty fast.

One the bottom was dry I just flipped the bag over and painted the top.

As decoration I decided to use some silhouettes that I found on line. I printed them out, then glued them to an old cereal box and cut out the shapes.

They weren't quite dark enough and I wanted to cover the edges so I added a coat of black paint.

To make the shapes more 3 dimensional I added a some additional card board pieces.

Then I just glued the shapes to the bags.

Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews you can subscribe to my    Youtube Channel here or the    Upcycle Design Lab blog here. 

Happy Upcycling!

Cindy

• Christmas Gift Bags
  • House Paint
  • Cereal Box

15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Cut Up Some Pallets For These 20 Amazing Ideas
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• TiaRenee

Working full-time and never having enough time, I must admit at first I thought as some others...why not go to the dollar store. But, as Elaine said, this is a great way to make use of store shopping bags rather than just throw them away! Thanks Cindy!

• Carey

You just gave me another idea. Why not use a cereal Box itself by painting it, decorating with your silhouettes add holes for a cord handle and you have a sturdy gift "bag". I buy cereal from Costco so the boxes are large enough to create great containers. You could also decorate them with the fronts of cards appropriate for the occasion, or even old calendar pictures that are appropriate.

• Cheryl Brevig

I have been doing this for years but I cover mine with old wallpaper, contact paper, or wrapping paper that I get at our local SA thrift store.