How To Get Rid Of Patio Weeds Without Chemicals

$32.00

I have updated my blog post to answer many of your questions about this process so be sure to click the link at the bottom of this post!
If you have a brick patio and are sick of those nasty weeds then you must try this solution! There is a way to get rid of patio weeks without using chemicals. A few years ago, we restructured our brick patio and added more bricks to it. Little did we realize that even though we used plastic sheeting under the bricks, weeds would find a home there regardless of the precautions we took.
You can be weed free within a few short hours! We even had to pull weeds in the winter too. It was nuts!
Does your patio look like this? Aren’t you tired of pulling weeds? Well, here’s the perfect chemical free solution!
This is what we had to deal with constantly! We really wanted to avoid using chemicals. They never work and have serious consequences too. We knew there had to be a better way and of course, there was! Paver/Patio sand – yep, it was that simple.
The best part is you can use sand anyplace where you have unwanted weeds! It’s not just for patio use. We even used this patio/paver sand in the garden around flowers and shrubs! As you can see below, we even had moss growing in between the bricks. It was a mess!
You can pick the sand up at any of your local hardware stores. It’s the best way to fight those nasty weeds without using chemicals! We purchased ours at our local Home Depot and this is the type we used. It was pretty inexpensive too at around $4.24 a bag. We used a total of eight bags for our entire patio which is great!
It works great for:
Leveling sand for interlocking patio, pavers, edging, walls
Use for paver leveling or as paver joint sand
Aids with proper drainage and stability to patio projects
We also had to get rid of the weeds from our neighbor’s side of the fence too to make sure none of the nastiness of her weeds didn’t poke through. It was so easy to do and all without chemicals! That entire strip against the wall was loaded with weeds. Not anymore!
Hop on over to my blog for more details on how we got the job done and more pictures. I'd love seeing you there!
Be sure to subscribe to my blog too for awesome giveaways, tutorials, restorations and much more. Please click here to subscribe! Subscribe Here!

Sassy Townhouse Living

• Terri Camilleri-Ritza

I would like to know how to keep moss from forming o my deck. The main problem is I have Hugh trees shadowing the deck and the deck is made of the material you don't have to paint.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

Well, I had loads of moss in between the bricks and we cleaned them up, laid the sand and the moss is gone. Once you remove the existing moss and lay the sand it won't come back. We are thrilled with the results! Let me know how it turns out for you.

• Karen

Vinegar kills miss, well, weeds

• Karen Mahieu Lyddon

Use Wet & Forget......Google it!....spray it on and it takes a couple of weeks to start working. Look at Google images....you won't believe how it changes old mossy gravestones too!.....We use it twice a year on our deck. This isn't for weeds....but for the green moss!

• Jo

That wet it and forget it is terrific ! Concrete patio used tip get green, I used to scrub with mixture of bleach....not good I know. But the wet it and forget it works wonders. Just spray on and in a week it's gone! No scrubbing

• Deb

Does it have to be paver sand? Can you use play sand?

• Lulu

Can it be any sand or does it have to be Paver sand?

• Sassy Townhouse Living

I don't think you can use just any sand Lulu, this sand is specifically formulated for pavers. I hope that helps

• Sheila Custis

Use polymeric sand. Find one of my posts above for instructions. THis is the sand we use for our professional patio business.

• Tee

This sounds like a great idea, do you cut the weeds first before packing the sand?

• Evonne Elvin Cugliari

I am assuming you removed weeds first or does this product kill them as wwll

• Christine Millership

Ive done this here in the UK, and yes, Evonne, it kills them as well. Plants hate salt. I've even used table salt when desperate and that works a treat too.....I've never liked using chemicals and this lasts longer too.

• Christine Millership

• Linda Laster

I believe this post is about the NEW kind of paver sand that really does prevent weeds.

• Osras

The above poster mentions salt, I did not see that in the instructions. Is salt used?

• Sheila Custis

You can use Roundup to kill the weeds but make sure you get the roots out from between the pavers for proper installation. My husband and I have a paver patio business. We use polymeric sand in the joints of our patios. It can also be used between Flagstone. It costs a little more but it's worth it in the long run. Apply this sand to DRY pavers. Sweep all into the joints and make sure you do not leave any on the surface of the pavers. MIST lightly with water. Stay off the patio for 24 hours to allow the sand to set up. It sets up like concrete but with more elasticity so it will not crack.

• Osras

The whole point of this to get rid of the weeds without harmful chemicals. Roundup is very toxic. White vinegar will kill the weeds.

• Bev

Will it kill plants nearby.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

I can't say for sure but mine are all fine​ so far. I'd do a test spot around and see. I was careful not to get directly around them.

• Kmh8340504

I was told by my Gardner to never put sand around flowers or shrubs. Has some type of chemical in it that will kill stuff just like it stops weeds. He does have a horticulturist lic. If using sand to level a yard then he said buy a white sand from a rock place or landscape seller. He also advised to never use masonry sand or sand box sand. Both have chemicals in them.

• Donna H

Will this work around rocks used as edging also?

• Sassy Townhouse Living

yep, if you look at the pics on my blog post, you will see we used it all around the edges and even around the wood molding.

• Donna H

Thank you. I am redoing areas of the yard where I have rocks that have sunken and sometimes get grass etc growing in between them.

• Susan Snyder

My husband is one of the top wood-destroying insect inspectors in NJ. Although he's in the pest control industry, he would always prefers common sense, non-chemical answers to insect problems. The sand not only prevents weeds but is great for drainage. Less standing water near your foundation and wooden structures means the wood stays healthy, strong and dry, which in turn prevents termite activity. (Treating a termite infestation can cost a LOT of money; a few bags of the right sand, however, is pennies by comparison. An ounce of prevention! 😉 Sand...who knew!?!

• Julie Wallace Nichols

Susan, You mention "around Foundations" - do you mean around stone/brick foundations of the house? If used there, how deep? how close to foundation and how far out? Thanks.

• Susan Snyder

Yes, I was referring to your home's foundation, but it could be any structure that has any wooden components, really. In order to avoid attracting termites, you need to keep the wooden components healthy and dry. Termites love wet and/or rotting wood. So anything you do to keep water away will help. You don't necessarily need to ADD sand or additional soil as much as you need to landscape it properly. Make sure the ground slopes away from the house so water flows and drains away from the foundation. If that means adding soil, sand or a combination, add enough so it creates enough of a slope for the water to drain downhill and away from the structure. The amount of soil/sand doesn't matter as long as the slope is sufficient. You just need to start building it up and check for standing water during rainstorms and as snow melts. (I hope I don't need to say stay inside if there is lightning, but as a disclaimer, I will! Lol!) Add more height as needed. It's a matter of regular maintenance since soil erodes and the ground changes all the time. Also, keep plants and trees from touching your home as much as possible. They are termite highways. I love pictures of ivy-covered buildings but they just make Hubby cringe! Haha! Termites will investigate ANY home for a new place to nest and feed, whether it's got a moisture problem or not, so the less tasty you make your home for them, the better.

• Mary Donna Davis

HOW BIG OF AN AREA DOES ONE BAG COVER? THEM I CAN FIGURE HOW MANY BAGS TO BUY.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

our bricks are about 9x24 and we used 8 bags of sand. I hope that helps. Don't forget to wet the sand down really good after applying it. It turns it really solid when you do.

• Darlene Happ

You can get the pavers sand cheaper at Lowes. 2.46 a bag. And you won't need 8 bags. 2 is plenty.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

Well, we had to use 8 bags and that was to make sure the cracks were fully covered. Measure your space and see the amount of coverage​ you get from each bag to be sure. 2 sounds like way too little but I guess it depends on how large your patio is.

• Cherylbeatrice

I live in Bucks County and use the same sand and have weeds. Is there something missing from your directions maybe? Would love for this to be as simple as you say.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

Well, we made sure to wet it down once we placed it. I have no weeds at all now not even a sign of them. My neighbor uses it too and he is weed-free for at least three years now. I don't know why it's not working for you. Did you use the right type of paver sand? Maybe that's why.

• Anita K

My husband is a Mason and he built our patio and walkway. Odd thing is, he used the sand on both projects, but it failed on the brick walkway.....and was a success on the concrete paver patio! Crazy, right? Nature keeps us guessing.

• Sheila Custis

For best results use polymeric sand in your joints. Remove all weeds first. Sweep the sand in on a DRY surface and make sure it is not remaining on the surface of the bricks. Then mist the surface very lightly to activate the silica in the sand. It will set up like concrete but you should stay off it for about 24 hours before walking on it. The polymeric sand has more elasticity to it and will not wash out like regular sand. We use it with our patio business.

• Sheila Custis

I am from Shreveport, Louisiana, not Farmingdale, NY.

• Anita K

Ah! Thank you, Sheila! My husband must have used a different type of sand. Thank you to Carol Carolann for her post, that started the discussion and shared her success story!

• Terry Zier

Get a tea kettle, boil water, go out to your patio and pour the boiling water over the weeds. After about 2-3 days, maybe a week, go out and pull your dead weeds. You can also use just plain vinegar. I put the vinegar in a garden sprayer and spray where the weeds are and in a few days I pull the weeds.

• Diane

What about fire ants? We have those too between the pavers too.

• Pea10033024

Use ordinary granulated sugar. Sprinkle it on theounds or between pavers. About 1 teaspoon per average mound. It destroys the fire ants reprpducti

• Pea10033024

Reproductive system and they disappear. It's a native American remedy. I've used it for years but have very little fire ant problem any more here inn East Texas.

• Nora Wesselkamper

Salt , vinegar, dish soap, work the same day or 2 if sunny and safe around pets. Just spray on weeds , very easy and natural

• Map8307398

I got rid of ants in our driveway cracks and the edge in the lawn with just corn meal. They eat but can't digest it I've heard. Will try sand or other tips for our constant weeds. I've thought that if I cultivate them they'll die because that's. what happens when I plant things I want. I've tried to improve our clay soil but not much luck.

• Aud7492923

I've found sweeping salt over the drive (just before rain is due) or sprinkle water on it or do nothing - then, no weeds. Cheap too

• Er84625648

Where do you find padio paver sand?

• Sassy Townhouse Living

You can get it at your local Home Depot or even Lowes. Just make sure it's patio​ paver sand and not regular sand.

• Sheila Custis

Use polymeric sand. Apply on dry pavers. Sweep in all the cracks and make sure none us left on pavers. Mist lightly and allow to set up 24 hours. This sand will set up like concrete and will not wash out.

• Sonia Morrow

Salt works also.

• Elizabeth

Will not this sand create ant hills??

• Carol.jussely

Before putting the sand down do youhave to pull all the weeds up?

• Anita Minton

How long has it been since you did this? I've used the sand in the past and after a year or so the weeds came back.

• Jennie Lee

He said his neighbor used it and has not had weeds "in years".

• Sassy Townhouse Living

I've used it for three weeks now and I have seen any sign of weeds. My neighbor has it for years and no weeds for him either. I hope that helps. Carolann

• Karen

It keeps the weeds down, but weeds still grow in the sand. We've had to add more sand every couple years to fill in the cracks.

• Nav4762921

At my place of employment we put down sand then you wet it and it hardens for new paver patios

• Robert Underwood

I covered a cement slab with sand, then laid pavers on top.... the weeds still grow.

I fill a hand sprayer with a gallon of white vinegar, mix in 1/4 cup table salt and a shot glass of Dawn dish soap. Shake well, wait for the foam to go down, and spray the cracks twice during the summer.

• Robert Underwood

This mixture also works on dandelions... it leaves a brown spot where the dandelion used to be, but the grass will grow back after a couple months.

• Jessica Campana

Robert! I have all those things and I think I will be trying this today. We have a very large gravel driveway and this would be perfect for testing this out. how far should I stay away from plants trees and shrubs I DON'T want to kill?
  • Margaret Mol

What chemicals are in that sand, that kill the weeds?

• Sassy Townhouse Living

Hi Margaret, there's aren't any chemicals in the sand at all. There's nothing it the sand that kills the weeds it just helps to prevent their growth. If you read my post, it explains more about how it works.

• CPetey Ancelin

Of course there are chemicals in paving sand! Sand is made up of mostly silica. Everything is made up of chemical Salt is a chemical composed of sodium and chlorine.

• Lemack

i have been pouring boiling salted water on the weeds between bricks, they are turning brown fast, when completely dried up, they pull out easily, then i will use the sand. this will keep them at bay. the trick is to not let it get too bad. kep a spray bottle with salted water so you can spray the newcomers. its always a lot of work but the brick are nice to have.
  • Ella

I just spent the day pulling weeds and then applied this type of sand, counting on it to work, lol !