DiY Hummingbird Perch

$0

Love at first sight! This pretty much sums up my feelings for hummingbirds. My first time meeting these beautiful creatures was 6 years ago (when I came to USA for our wedding), and ever since they became my all-time favorite visitors to our backyard. I think the feeling must be mutual, as they are becoming friendlier than ever. Not like “let’s feed from the closest feeder” friendly, but really REALLY friendly! More like “YAY! The screen doors are open again, let’s party inside!” kind of friendly. And no, we don’t have any feeders hanging inside!

This year’s total is 4. Yes, 4 birds came partying in our house and 3 of them were hummingbirds. Luckily, we managed to save them all, but what chaos!…2 adults and a kid, with huge butterfly nets in hands, going from shape to shape to lead the little birds outside without scaring them to death… meanwhile, the dogs are adding more excitement to that scene. Either they run around as if trying to trip us or they find the most convenient place to lay down: right under our feet! Can you imagine the comedy? LOL. But even that won’t stop us from trying to accommodate our gorgeous visitors. Every year as they increase in numbers, we also increase the number of feeders and my DiY hummingbird perches, as they love swinging on them.

To make a hummingbird perch, all I used was a short dowel, some floral wire, copper pipe (thick and sturdy wire could substitute) and some faux flowers. I also used a red prism/faux gem, because the red color attracts hummingbirds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE STEP-BY-STEP TUTORIAL.

Here are our hummingbird perches.

Pretty, aren’t they? But trust me, they are even prettier when used by our little guests!

As it is hard to catch a good picture of our little guests, we couldn’t catch any pictures of them on the newer perches. But here are some pictures of this lovely girl on the older perches.

If you are interested in similar crafts & DIY projects, you may also want to see how I made my waterdrop solar lights for our garden.

Cool isn't it? Click here to see the step-by-step tutorial for these DIY waterdrop solar lights.

Happy crafting!

Handan, xo

• Faux flowers
  • Dowel

Handan & Greg @ The Navage Patch

• Jill

Did you know using the color red to attract hummingbirds is not necessary? My grandmother (and now my mother) have used clear fluid in their feeders for years, and as a result have MORE hummingbirds than when they used red.

• MM

Yup. When in doubt, go to snopes.com

• Terry

How do you keep the ants away and out of your feeders?

• Bg*7779583

Wrap a dryer sheet around the hanger of the feeder. Didn't have any problems with ants in the feeder this year!

• Steve s

Any ideas as to how to keep wasps out of the feeders?

• Tricia P

I keep a saucer or two of the liquid with rocks in it for the wasps and bees that like to frequent my feeders...they stay off the feeder and get the liquid they want without drowning.

• Carolyn Jean Ross

Better than a fairy garden!

• Dudie Sipe

For some reason I am very lucky. I have many hummingbirds in my garden. As well as birds,praying mantis,owls, and once I had a beautiful heron stop by my pond. I thought he was coming for a drink. I was later told he was coming for the koi. I can't wait to make a bunch of these "swings". Thanks a million for sharing!!!!!