Lucy in the sky
Lucy in the sky
  • Norwalk, CA
Asked on Aug 13, 2013

Rusted screws

Johnavallance82Len ChapelleElizabeth Diaz Martinez
+27

Can anybody tell me what's the best way to remove rust off of these screws and also make them look cleaner ?
I took these screws off a table I'm refurbishing
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Soak them in CLR(Calcium Lime Rust Remover) and then take an old too brush and clean them up. It won't make them new again, but will definitely improve them. :o) Make sure to wear gloves and don't get it on your skin or anything you don't want ruined!

• Sandy Logan

I am a great believer in WD40. Spray it on the screws on which you have laid a plastic sheet. Make sure they get good and wet. Let them set or roll them around with your hand. You will definitely see a difference. Another product that works great is called Liquid wrench. You can purchase these at a car parts store like NAPA or Pep Boys. I hope this helps.

• Hilary Ross

Soak them in cokacola for a week, the rael stuff, not the sugar free, works a dream.

• Yair Spolter

@Hilary Ross My father in law is a mechanic and he swears that nothing cleans a car battery or an engine like Coke! (Scary to think we're drinking it...)

• Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

Ha! I've heard about the cola trick....just imagine what it does to a body....eek!! :o)

• Thomas

Use a can of regular Coke. It will take about and hour of soaking to get most of the rust off.

• Lucy in the sky

Oh my Gee....I never heard of such thing using coka-cola but I must try also thank you @Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces and @Sandy Logan I will try all to see which is best for future use......Thanks a bunch guys !

• Deborah R

Skin so soft (yes Avon bath oil) is a great rust remover. I use it on pruners that I have forgotten and left in the gaden...Coke is also good

• Jo Goughnour Roof

When I was in jr. high school our science teacher put some chicken livers in coke and when we came back after the week end they were GONE! I would think it would work great on rust, however I had never thought about using it!

• KMS Woodworks

The "active" ingredient in coke is Phosphoric Acid. When I worked in Biotech we had an automated cleaning system for our equipment. The first cleaning step used a Sodium Hydroxide based cleaner, the second cleaner was Phosphoric Acid. The Acid helps with neutralizing the high pH of the NaOH.

• Lucy in the sky

@KMS Woodworks I'm not really a coke drinker but after reading all these comments I think I'll stay away from the stuff.......that's scary

• Linda

Go to You Tube, click on-"Broadcast yourself". Next, at the top type in, "Remove Rust From Screws". You will find so many ways to remove rust from every thing. Good Luck !

• Dee Moreland Jones

I have used coke but for fast results I use dollar store ( or any cheap) oven cleaner.....the strong stuff with lye I think. spray on .. let set 15020 ( per directions) the pressure wash off ( I use this on wood furniture too to removed paint.. much easier than striper). s the rust will just run off ( remove paint with plastic putty knife)

• Lynn

One of the greatest and easiest and safest uses to remove rust and grim is vinegar and baking soda and a steel brush, takes a few minutes but it's well worth the risk to environmental and physical hazards. Then soak in a bit of oil or spray with WD-40 to prevent more corrosion over time and make them easier to use when it comes time to that they are actually chosen to be the best screw for the job (no pun intended).

• Peggy Rickard

Soak them in vinegar!

• Ella

put them in a container and spray them with WD40 and let them soak

• Linda

I recently found an old rusty pair of scissors, and read where you put the rusty "thing" in white vinegar over will take the rust off. So I did and WOW it worked! I was shocked!

• Judy Steffen

Naval jelly removes rust. Or you could use them to make junk signs.

• Stp1309848

I had a bunch of rusty nails, put them in a plastic jar with a lid, soaked them over night in regular white vinegar shook it up in the morning - - they were done, but I left them in while I went to work, dealt with them when I got home they are great!

• Marilynn Gillespie

Nicole Curtis on Rehab Addict(HGTV) says she just cooks hers in her slow cooker!

• Kaye Usher

drop them in coke and let set

• Meem Kaplan

Yup. CocaCola is a great rust remover as it has phosphoric acid in it. great stuff for nearly everything except drinking....

• Sheila hester

Soak any screws, nails, tools, garden shears, or an metals items that's has rusted in a container with a lid, covered with apple cider vinegar, leave for a week. Wash with hot water & liquid soap 0r any soaps, scrub. You will be so surprise!!!!!

• Louise

put in gasoline over night. be careful where u put it .

• Tricia Lee

Coke

• Elizabeth Diaz Martinez

I collect old keys and cabinet hardware. I shall them in white vinegar. Soaking time varies.A gallon of the stuff is 99¢. I reuse the same dirty vinager over and over again. At some point, I do use clean vinager. Keep checking your items, because I did leave some really rusty screwdrivers in there for a couple of days and when I retrieved them they had become toothpicks..lol

• Len Chapelle

Draino will give you amazing results but be very carefull.

• Johnavallance82

Saok in WD-40