Puffy Paint + Mason Jars for an Awesome Centerpiece!

I know decorating with mason jars is all the rage right now, so when I saw a 12 pack on sale and had a $2 coupon, I just had to bring home a case.
I would love to make jam - but it has been a bad year for our raspberries because it has been so dry out. So I decided to come up with something crafty to use my jars for in the meantime, until I get a load of fruit on my hands for some jam.
I found some really pretty glittery gold flourish stickers on Amazon that I wanted to incorporate onto the jars somehow. But I wanted it to be 3D and not just a sticker on a jar. I attempted to trace the flourish with hot glue to make the flourish pattern pop out and become 3D (I saw someone master that on Pinterest). When I tried it though, it came out terrible. The hot glue was just a mess and the jar ended up in the recycling bin. But I did have some puffy paint on hand that turns out is way easier to apply for a 3D effect. I finished it by adding some spray paint and dried lavender for a lovely, frugal way to decorate with mason jars!
Materials needed for your own mason jar vase:
Mason Jars - I used the 8oz quilted jars - but you could use any variety or even just a plain glass vase.
Puffy Paint
Flourish Stickers
White Spray Paint
Your Favorite Flowers - I used dried lavender from my garden
Take your 3 jars and your stickers and just place them in a pattern of your choice around the middle of each jar.
Then with a still hand and some patience, trace the flourishes with some puffy paint. This part can be forgiving if you make a mistake while tracing. You can easily incorporate the mistake into the pattern. I just used the flourishes as a guide because I know I could not free hand it as nicely.
After you let your puffy paint dry (I waited 24 hours) you will want to put on 3-5 coats of white spray paint. Thinking back on this now, it would have been much easier if I used white puffy paint so that I didn't have to worry about covering up that bright pink. But pink was all I had on hand, so I just went with it. :) When spray painting, it is always better to add on more thin coats rather than one thick coat of paint. Thick coats of spray paint just end up dripping and makes it look a mess.
Add your favorite flowers and you have a great centerpiece!
Have you ever tried making your own puffy paint? Here is an easy way to make your own puffy paint with just 2 ingredients! (but I don't recommend this kind for this mason jar project!)

• Flourish Stickers  (http://amzn.to/2aUCbmR)
  • Puffy paint  (craft store)
  • White spray paint  (craft store or walmart)

30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Cuddling Up At Home With A Bottle Of Wine? Then Try These Projects!
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Super Cool Marbelizing Techniques Everyone's Trying!
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Maura White

• Susan Bock

Might. How long between the spray coats?

• AnnaMarie Thibeault

I I would wait an hour before repeating the jars especially if you live in a humid area of the country you want it pretty dry before taking on the second coat or if you test it with your finger you could leave fingerprints that won't be covered by secquecial respraying. The reason I know this is I have found out through other mason jar projects I have tried out! LOL!

• Tobi Wyszomirski

How well does puffy paint hold up? Is it still soft when dry? I really like the look of white on white. Very clean.

• Maura White

It holds up really well - its not really soft when dry. I like white on white too - subtle and clean! Don't use pink puffy paint like I did and paint over it with white - use white puffy paint to begin with and it will turn out better!

• Judy Livny

Can you use these as canisters to hold food? Is the spray paint safe for food?

• Maura White

The spray paint is not food safe - so I'd use these just for decor purposes.