Let's Go Glamping!

Some kids spend their summers at the pool, hanging with friends and enjoying their downtime. Fourteen-year-old Ellie Yeater of Williamstown, WV, used her summer break to renovate a 1974 Wilderness camper into her very own “glamper”! Glamping is making camping a bit less rustic and a lot more glamorous, and Ellie’s camper transformation does not disappoint.
Who wouldn't want to hang out here?

Her mother Lori calls her “an out-of-the-box kinda kid” who had saved up around $500 from birthdays and chores to buy and refurbish the camper.
What a deal!

She found the camper in a local ad and bought it for $200, using the rest of her funds to purchase paint, flooring, fabric, and décor for her renovations. Her dad Larry helped by buying the wood and rubber roll for the roof.
Before

It was in pretty rough shape, previously used as a campsite and hunting camper. “It needed work,” Lori recalled, “…lots of work.”
Let the cleanup begin

Ready to begin renovations – the camper had to be gutted, cleaned and repaired before any of the “fun” work could begin.
Floor prep for new tiles

Here, Ellie cleans the glue from the floor to start prepping for the makeover.
Learning some tricks from Grandpa

Ellie learned a few carpentry skills from her grandfather Lawrence as they braced everything and plugged holes.
Blah brown to fresh Mystic Sea

Ellie’s dad and grandfather moved the camper from the driveway to its campsite, where she painted the exterior in "Mystic Sea" using an Anti-Rust Armor from Valspar.
Ready to start painting

A peachy, aqua blue color scheme was selected, and the interior painting began!
Coming right along

Making progress – here the painting inside of the camper is nearly complete.
New floor tiles going down

Ellie’s Grandma Mary and mother recovered the upholstery for the seat cushions and made curtains while Ellie installed new floor tiles.
Moving some goodies in

Ellie collected things she liked for her glamper all summer. She also found lots of inspiration on Pinterest for her décor. Lori got the cool mannequin at Coldwater Creek when they sold out their warehouse in Parkersburg, WV, a few years ago. “I love that the path isn’t straight,” Lori said, “just like life.”
Some of Ellie's decor

A lot of special touches can be seen in Ellie’s decorating, like a vintage camera on the mannequin, retro electric fan, and coordinating placemats/napkins made by her grandmother.
What a transformation!

As school starts up again, the glamper transformation is nearly complete with just a few minor things left to do. The colorful, relaxing space is now filled with positive affirmations and a lot of personality. Ellie is pleased that her vision is coming to fruition. Though she and her family spent many hot nights working on the glamper, Ellie said, “I couldn’t have gotten this far on this project without my family helping me bring my vision to life.”
HAPPY GLAMPER

Now that the glamper is almost finished, Ellie plans to have a sleepover with a couple of friends, or just have quiet time to read and play her ukulele. Is she adorable or what?
Photos by Lori Yeater.

Lori Haught Harper

• Susie

I'm assuming it has a small bathroom and small kitchen spot. Could you also post pics of them?? Say in a 360 degree way? That would be soooo cool! Thanks. You are soooo talented. And, all is simply adorable, BTW!! What a cool and loving family you have! Lucky girl, indeed.

• Valerie Michaud

what did you use for lettering your pillows, etc.?

I have some scattered ideas for my camper. I

have poodles and had horses for 30 years. I

was born in 1955 so I want to incorporate the

décor with some of each of these elements. I

unfortunately don't have family/friends help.

You did a great job. Love the mannequin. Does she

have a name? I had a dress form that I used to dress

in Victorian outfits that I had made/bought. She decided

to move on though.

• Patricia Alexander

Potty?

• Christine Kiehl

Wow! This is the coolest thing that I have seen from a 14 year old in a super LONG time! She will find that IF and when she would like to sell she will probably receive an offer far above the original investment of $200! I am currently doing the same to a much larger RV to host all of my craft stuff in! This was VERY inspiring indeed!

• Ida Hennessey

Fantastic, hon. I'm glad to see ambition, vision, and thrift aren't dead yet. lol

I've built and remodeled a bit myself, and I'm an old lady now with some mad skills that no one wants to learn, but have me do for them for free. lol

I may have fallen off the turnip truck, but not yesterday.

I hope that you continue to do things that you love, and not get caught in the trap of working for money instead of joy. You've made a fantastic start!

Peace.

Ozmyrrah