Leah Hill
Leah Hill
  • Paulden, AZ
Asked on Aug 13, 2013

Bug help

Paula CanupJanice PreseckyLeah Hill
+8

I tried to find this bug on internet and couldn't could you please help ty I think I put it the first time in home repair sorry Hope I got it right now lol
q bug help, gardening, pest control
  • Peg

Black and red lined blister beetle. They feed on alfalfa....livestock have been known to be poisoned when harvested hay contain lots of these bugs. They can also cause blisters on skin, hence their name.

• Leah Hill

Oh no I always thought blister beetles were a different color. we always checked the hay but never saw these things Thank you for your help Now to get rid of them some how

• Peg

There are many colors of the blister beetles. I enjoy bugs and think there are so many colors and varieties like there are flowers and butterflies!

• Leah Hill

@Peg Lol I guess not but it is very pointed lol it was added after red and black stripes didn't produce the bug I was looking for Bit the butt part didn't help lol

• Linda B

I just looked up blister beetle, those are some nasty looking burns from them. I know I would try to get rid of them yuck.

• Leah Hill

@Linda B I am not sure how to get rid of them.. Glad the chickens wont eat them. It said if a duck or turkey eat them and you butcher them right after it will make you very sick and could kill you. These are bad bugs :( they just showed up this year sure glad I don't have the horses any longer, I would have worried myself to death

• Janice Presecky

THAT IS A Japanse Bettles they eat my roses I went to the Morton abortom & the only way to get Rid of them is fill a bucket with soapy water & pick it up & put In soapy water that's the only way

• Leah Hill

@Janice Presecky nope not a Japanese beetle it is a blister beetle.. Black and Red Blister Beetle - Megetra cancellata and you do Not want to touch them

• Paula Canup

Definitely NOT a Japanese beetle; I fight them all the time and know them all too well.