Caroline Cockrell
Caroline Cockrell
  • Jacksonville, AL

Kitchen Table Makeover

My kitchen table was a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down and I wanted a new one but it just wasn't in the budget. I decided to do this instead!
The table before - with the wood veneer
The table before - with the wood veneer
My husband and kids were on a trip and I knew this would take a couple of days, so I covered the floor with a large dropcloth and moved everything out of the way. Then I took the chairs apart, removing the cushions, and sanded the table and chairs with a medium grit sandpaper. I used a tack cloth to remove all the dust from both.
Another view of the table, before
Another view of the table, before
I painted the chairs and table with Behr black paint, so I didn't need to prime. I let it dry overnight, and worked on the cushions.
kitchen table makeover, how to, kitchen design, painted furniture, reupholstoring, reupholster
I removed the second layer of upholstery, but left the original to keep the "stuffing".
I recovered the cushions and sprayed them (twice!) with Scotch Guard, since they would be in the kitchen and I have three kids! (I did borrow a pneumatic staple gun with an air compressor to do this - I would HIGHLY recommend it!)
When the table and chairs were dry, I sanded them with a fine grit sand paper, and applied a second coat of paint. After that dried, I sanded the top of the table again.
I applied a thin coat of polyeurethane to the top of the table, waited for it to dry, then sanded and applied a second coat. Then I screwed all the cushions back in place, and voila!!
I'm so happy with how it turned out!

• Behr Paint  (Home Depot)

• Kathleen

Beautiful! Beautiful! Would you kindly tell what brushes, rollers or other applicators you used. Also, did you have to paint in each direction of the wood grain on the top of the table?
    Thank you.
  • Kathleen

Thank you.
  • James

Looks amazing, well done.
    Have you done this before awesome.
    Regards
    James

• Joanie

A lot of work ,but you stuck to it. And well worth the time put into it. Beautiful

• Sami

BEAUTIFUL.