I have discovered that water has seeped in around a window.

+9
Answered
The wall (paneling) has buckled. I need to remove the wall and I think there is mold around the window and the wall. Can anyone tell me how to remove the mold? I know I may have to have a company come into remove it, but is there anything I can so myself?
  12 answers
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 16, 2016
    realhousemoms.com/remove-mold-home-keep-coming-back/
  • Adrian Serounian Keir Adrian Serounian Keir on Aug 16, 2016
    You'll need to have the window inspected to see if the flashing is inadequate. No sense in repairing the damage if the problem is still there. A contractor will remove the trim around the exterior window and replace the flashing UNLESS the leak is from a higher source (the roof). If there's not a lot of mold, you can remove it with bleach and water. If it keeps coming back, there's still a water leak.
  • Felicia Felicia on Aug 16, 2016
    In the past I've used a heavy bleach/water solution......more bleach than water. Apply it with a spray bottle, let it sit, and repeat. You can then wash and wipe it down. Hope that helps.
  • William William on Aug 16, 2016
    I agree with Adrian. You need to find the source of the water first. Then tackle the inside damage.
  • Terri Terri on Aug 17, 2016
    As above, fix the window leak ( or wherever it really is coming in). For the mold, remove the drywall and any insulation that is wet, whether you see mold or not. In the early stages, some molds aren't visible. Let the area dry out completely. Then you can treat with the aforementioned bleach solution,, scrub with a stiff bristle brush. Let dry completely again before re-installing new insulation, vapour barrier and drywall. Not all molds are created equal and they have varying degrees of toxicity. I've been renovating for years and have had no health issues when dealing with molds in this manner. But a good face mask can't hurt either ;-)
  • Pri4759878 Pri4759878 on Aug 17, 2016
    Hydrogen peroxide will kill many molds that bleach won't. Use it liberally and let it dry.
  • Bleach does not kill all kinds of mold. Home stores sell a product that is used to kill mold and bacteria and it does not smell terrible. One brand is named Mold-Stat. The product is mixed with water and then sprayed on the area. Let it sit a while and then wipe off excess. It will also lighten the treated area. Left over product can be used to clean your bathroom and kitchen (hospitals use this kind of product to clean with.) But find the source of the leak before you replace window and wall board.
  • Deanna Nassar Deanna Nassar on Aug 17, 2016
    I've heard that this kind of mould is very dangerous. One person had "Mystery" illnesses that were finally traced back to mouldy sheetrock/wallboard. Get someone to check where the leak is coming from and how to fix it. If the leak is coming from higher up it could have damaged more than just that area. You should tear out all affected wall board and any insulation. (Use a face mask when working with this stuff).
  • Tommi L. Perkins Tommi L. Perkins on Aug 17, 2016
    I have seen leaks around windows on the first floor of a house that were the result of a roof leak or soffit leak that ran down the inside wall and came out around a window on the first floor. Check this out and figure out where that water is coming from FIRST. Checking the attic rafters and decking for stains and or runs is the first thing to look at. The leak in the roof may not be on the side or exact spot where the leak is showing up. It can be many feet away and running down the rafter to that location. Call a roofer to examine it carefully if you find any evidence or discoloration on the rafters.
  • Capernius Capernius on Aug 17, 2016
    as for the structural repairs, I'm not a carpenter, so I can not give you advice there. when it comes to mold, mildew, all the related nasty stuff, yes they CAN cause "mystery illnesses"....to kill mold, mildew, etc., I use vinegar straight up. I do not dilute it with anything. Now I am talking about the vinegar from the local grocery store , NOT what you can buy online. from the grocery store, that vinegar is about 5% acidity. what you can get on line is about 20% acidity or more. acidity that high you would need gloves, a mask of some kind, etc. 20% or more is some very strong a potentially dangerous stuff. 5% is not a problem. I get the stuff on my hands all the time & never feel any burning like you would with a 20% acidity.
  • Sherrie Slaboda Sherrie Slaboda on Aug 17, 2016
    Hydrogen peroxide will kill mold. I buy the 35% for some cleaning tasks but the 3% is useful, too. It is an outstanding product for the home and is very inexpensive. I've become particular about products that are made up of too many things nobody understands or even has knowledge about. Hydrogen peroxide is ONLY OXYGEN +. Read about it and decide if it will work for you.
  • Rub7939021 Rub7939021 on Aug 18, 2016
    I work in restoration..have for 6 years. You have to remove all water damage/wet/mold surfaces down to bare wood. Then use a wood cleaner (homedepot) scrub with brush wipe off let dry. Then use killz paint (homedepot)to seal any affected area. Once dry. Put wall back together 😎