Jonnie Phillips
Jonnie Phillips
  • Utica, KY
Asked on Aug 13, 2013

Cleaning an old white cast kitchen sink

Nancy JDonKala Professional Restoration services
+1

I am working on a rental house and it has a double white cast kitchen sink. Needless to day it has seen better days and has alot of scratches and discolorations. What is the best way to clean this sink?
  • S137

Check out this thread on Retro Renovation. Lots of suggestions on cleaning cast iron: http://retrorenovation.com/2012/08/06/how-to-clean-the-bathtub-slip-resistant-bottom-omg-its-like-new/

• Since, cast-iron is traditionally covered with a porcelainenamel which is highly durable and is very much susceptible to chips, crackingand dulling of the finish. Therefore it require gentle week ly cleaning with mix2 tablespoons of dishwashing soap containing a grease cutting agent with 1gallon of hot water. For cleaning, use soft rag or sponge to dip into the soapmixture and scrub the tub or sink. Rinse well.

• Don

I have a cast/porcelain sink in my garage and spent about a half an hour with first "Barkeeps Friend" and then a little bit of bleach (gloves of course)...Yes, I had grease, paint and who knows what else along with all the pitting, cracks and rusted drain. It wound up looking really good. Not new, but, darn clean!

• Nancy J

barkeepers friend or liquid castile soap