Jay
Jay
  • India
Asked on Aug 14, 2013

Can anyone identify these two vines?

Donna GillKariDOT MCCORK
+15

These are two vines i have in my terrace. I don't know the names.
can anyone identify these two vines, gardening
  • Luis

Jayashree the first one reminds me of the Garlic vine but not sure second one reminds me of Ixora coccinea Jungle Geranium native to your country

• Jay

Never heard of garlic vine,may well be that but the second is not Ixora. This looks very different except that the flowers are in na cluster. Thankyou Luis.

• Donna Gill

The first one looks like a jasmine/ mandevilla variety of some sort. A larger photo (meaning showing more of the vine) would be helpful.

• Donna Gill

@Jayashree Rajan any other information regarding scent, how they vine/climb, etc. will help to identify them. Are the leaves of the second vine rough by any chance?

• Donna Gill

This looks the second one. X Ruttyruspolia ‘Phyllis van Heerden’ (scroll down) It says it is a large shrub, though. Hhhmmm. http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/plantsaleinformationpages/2011-Members-Day-Plant-Sale/

• Jay

These are both vines and the leaves are not rough Donna Gill Colestock.

• Luis

Jayashree does the second one have a scent?

• Jay

Luis,i will check next time it flowers and let you know.:)

• Luis

The leaves and flowers reminds me of pink Jasmine vine, will get it sooner or later

• Jay

No flowers on it now Luis. Will let you know.

• Kimberly A

The first one looks like mandevilla to me. I have had many of them over the years ( including a darker pink one in bloom on my deck right now) and that is how they bud. I am not familiar with the second one but it is lovely.

• Leona G

Mandevilla for the first one and one of the many claradendroms for the second

• Donna Gill

I already said the first is a mandevilla. More photos would help. I wish @Jayashree Rajan would look at the link I posted for the second.

• Jay

Sorry Donna,i didn't see that. Will check it out.

• Jay

Donna,Think you've nailed it! The flowers look exactly the same except that this is a vine. So,maybe like many other plants,it has a vine variety too! Thankyou for identifying 'Phyllis'! :)

• DOT MCCORK

Looks like an allamanda. I have a pink one.

• Kari

The first one is definitely mandevilla, I have one just like it

• Donna Gill

Awesome @Jayashree! If we can identify the mandevilla variety in the first photo, we can give her a name, too, but I need more photos to do that.