Knockout Roses, plus

It's hard not to love a knockout rose. Disease resistant, profusely blooming, and vigorous growth. Although not entirely necessary a little bit of weekly maintenance goes a long way to make these desirable landscape elements perform even better.
I use knockouts along with annuals on my front steps. They stay there for one summer and then in the fall they are moved elsewhere.
1. I've found that fish and seaweed emulsion (I use Neptune's Harvest 10-30-20) is the best organic fertilizer to encourage as frequent rebloom as possible.
2. Sprinkling Epsom Salts around the base of the plant, about 1/2 cup. Once in May and once in August.
3. Deadheading. While it isn't imperative that you deadhead knockouts, I've noticed that judicious deadheading results in a faster turnaround in blooming.
4. Don't overwater! I live in central Ohio, zone 6A, where we have very hot and humid summers. It's easy to overwater containers when it's so hot. Test the soil with your finger before watering. If the soil is still moist, wait until the next day to water.
Left, when the roses were planted May 17
Right, yesterday. With a little care, this rose has grown exceptionally well and upright through the season
Left, when the roses were planted May 17 Right, yesterday. With a little care, this rose has grown exceptionally well and upright through the season
I think my summer containers peaked around July 10. The Endless Summer hydrangeas are also transplanted elsewhere in the fall.

Stephen Andrew

• Mary

By the way your flowers are beautiful love the appearance of your entrance.

• Mary M

My knockouts have become big clusters of dried dark flowers. I have 7 bushes and have had about 7 years. I don't want to dig up and replace but don't know what to do.