Easy Homemade Air Freshener Infused With Orange and Rose

This homemade air freshener is the perfect solution to store bought, and it is fun to play around with the scents. I highly recommend using this combination of orange and rose though. It smells incredible!
This chemist solutions series has become one of my favorite things to share with you on Chemistry Cachet. I get to use my chemist skills to create something that helps you or makes your life much easier. I also get to research things like why pineapple is awesome or why you should be eating lemon!
I also get to mix up solutions like I am back in the chemistry lab, like with homemade plant food.
It really is my passion and I love sharing it with you!
This homemade air freshener is so easy to whip up! I love store bought febreze, but in reality, it isn’t totally necessary to buy. It also has many unnecessary chemicals in it.
Ingredients:
½ cup vodka
1 cup water
10-15 drops of orange essential oil
10-15 drops of rose essential oil
½ tsp baking soda
Directions:
Add in the water to a mixing bowl or jar, then add in the essential oils. I really like a strong scent so I go with 15 or so of each.
Add in the vodka (read This important note on why to use Vodka ). Last, add in the baking soda. Stir around until everything is dissolved, then pop it into a sprayer.
So simple and so effective!
Don’t skip the baking soda!
You may be tempted to skip the baking soda since it is such a small amount, but don’t! Baking soda is great at absorbing odors. It is great to add to a room spray to really help get rid of lingering scents! I will be sharing some details soon on this awesome chemical and why it rocks!
Make sure to read these important chemist tips about this solution!
You can head to the blog post below for more details and pictures! Stay tuned for another installment of the chemist solutions series :)

Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

• Meme
    Meme

can you substitute white gin for the vodka as I have gin left from us having my Mothers favourite tipple after her funeral.

• Meme
      Meme

Thanks for replying its a pity I'll have to find a use for the gin. Not my sort of drink but not much of a drinker anyway. Will have to get some vodka to try this out especially on a particular mens smell that lingers on

• Crystal
    Crystal

I will try this personally! I would also like to pass on to families with pediatric asthma. This seems like it would be safe becasue it doesn't have the chemicals associated with commercial air fragrances. What are your thoughts?
    • Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet
      Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet

Yes it is safe for that. My Mom and husband both suffer from asthma, so I can't use normal air fresheners. Using vodka as an alcohol source vs rubbing alcohol also makes it better for Breathing issues :)
  • Connie poe
    Connie poe

What is the baking soda used for in this recipe? I tried a similar recipe and had white dust from the baking soda all over my bathroom.

• Carolyn
    Carolyn

Can you tell me how to make my own essential oil from scratch? Essential oils are usually expensive.

• Susan Lagle Easter
    Susan Lagle Easter

This is a great room freshener. I have peppermint vodka that’s great for Christmas. I bought it for peppermint white hot chocolate for winter time night drink. Also great. Lol