Valarie Johnson
Valarie Johnson
  • Schenectady, NY
Asked on Aug 14, 2013

Tie backs for the guest room

Valarie JohnsonColleenTherese C

Did you make them or buy them?
  • Therese C

I have always made my own tie backs. I want something unlike what anyone else has. (I'm weird like that) I have made mine with anything from cloth to twisted thick copper wire. It is all a matter of taste. One of my favorites is to buy those round wooden tie backs that look like drawer pulls or door knobs, and paint a unique painting on them to go with the room. In my sister's dining room I used antique crystal-looking door knobs and removed the metal. I then twisted heavy gauge copper wire around them. They turned out beautiful and she has received many compliments on them.

q tie backs for the guest room, bedroom ideas, crafts
    • Polly Zieper

@Therese C Therese- Can we see some pictures of what you've made? Sounds interesting!I, also, don't want my rooms to look like I bought the whole window dressing from a room at Bed, Bath&Beyond.:)

• Colleen

Tie backs can be very simple. You can purchase satin cording from the upholstery section at JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby, or you can use ribbon and make it double sided and use a snap or an O ring to tie together. Try matching the curtain material and make a sash to blend in.

• Valarie Johnson

thank you!