Paula M
Paula M
  • Vancouver, WA
Asked on Aug 14, 2013

Plastic playhouse

KathrynElizabeth EtierZLinda Stone
+2

I have an older fisherprice outdoor playhouse. I bought it real cheap thinking I would make a cute chicken coop. I haven't done it yet. It's almost too cute. Any suggestions or ideas on what to use it for? Children all grown, but thought I could save it for grandchildren. Right now it looks pretty rough. Being old, it's all faded. I tried that paint made for plastic and it still just chipped of from all the rain. So I could also use any suggestions on how to paint it. Thanks.
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

You can do is using a spray paint for plastic by Valspar or Krylon, even Home Depot carries another line I think. Great idea for the chicken coop! I'd love to see how it turns out. :o)

• Z

Usually the paint for plastics works great. My guess is it wasn't completely cleaned of all soil or soap residue or completely dry before you painted it. I'm guessing this because this is what probably happened to me when I painted some flower pots. Most it stayed on perfectly but others had some areas that didn't hold up so well. With that in mind you might want to try again and make sure you rinse it well and make sure it's completely dry before you paint it. Maybe just do a small area so you don't waist time and money on the whole thing before you test it.

• Linda Stone

If I am not mistaken, there is one on this site that someone did. If not, it is on Pinterest. Absolutely adorable.

• Z

You can find allot of tips on painting plastics from the threads on this search: http://www.hometalk.com/search?filter=painting+plastic+playhouse

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

I'd love to see a picture (Fisher Price produced a variety of playhouses), I'm imagining all kinds of garden applications.