Frankie Laney
Frankie Laney
  • Oceanside, CA
Asked on Aug 14, 2013

Estate Sale Tray

Charmaine OrtegaDeanna Riles-CoxNancy Bode
+22

Here's a tray that I bought at a recent estate sale. I don't know why I bought it, it's a large wooden, handmade, piece. Measures 24" long by 15-1/2", really too big for an every day tray I've never seen a design like this and I thought some of you might know about it. It's reminiscent of some of the early designs I've seen on old trunks, not sure where.
I'm not crazy about the design and would like to give it a make over, thought I would consult with the Hometalk experts! So....what do you think??
q estate sale tray, crafts, painting
q estate sale tray, crafts, painting
q estate sale tray, crafts, painting
  • Larissa ~ Prodigal Pieces

I am an oldie, but a goodie person and think it is absolutely gorgeous as is with its patina and all! Great find!!

• Linda Stone

I like it too. If it's too big for everyday use, why not paint, maybe in a chevron pattern and hang on wall as a decorative piece? OR would be pretty painted and used on a dining room table perhaps with 3 candles or small flowers for a centerpiece?

• Debra Peters

I like original stuff, too. How big is it? Maybe add legs and turn it into a nice side table?

• Carolyn Smith

I love it, just the way it is. You could use it on your kitchen or dining table as part of your centerpiece arrangement. You could also put a hanger on the back and hang it on the wall. It's beautiful!

• Frankie Laney

I'm hoping to find out more about the design. If anyone knows about painted furniture designs and what culture this might represent, that would be helpful. If no one can give me a clue about it, then I'll just get on with painting it. Thanks so much.

• Colleen

I like the size of this and the simplistic painting. Maybe place a piece of glass in the tray to protect the finish and just use it.

• Crystal @My Blissful Space

It's not bad as is, but if you don't like the design (and if it were me) I'd paint it! I painted a tray from Goodwill...you can see it here http://www.myblissfulspace.com/2013/05/ditto-diy-challenge-diy-tray-part-1.html and here http://www.myblissfulspace.com/2013/05/ditto-diy-challenge-tray-and-dresser.html. You could also add legs and make it a breakfast-in-bed tray.

• Pat

Could this be Rosemaling? Tole painting or decorative painting books may give a clue as to design origin. OTOH, it might just be an original design, not related to any traditional folk painting.

• Frankie Laney

@Pat thanks for this info, I was also thinking it might be someone's original design. I will check out some of the Tole designs. Always interesting to find out more about past trends. Thanks.

• Barbara Sawyer

I like the folk art type design myself but if you want to change it there are many things you can do. Simply paint it or decoupage with a pretty design, or like my daughter does she creates a mosaic with broken tiles or glass. Another idea is putting a fabric down, iron back edges and put glass over it, that's ok if you don't plan on moving it around much, say on a dressing table.

• Frankie Laney

@Barbara Sawyer thanks for these ideas. I guess my next step is to figure out how I will be using it! I'm liking the mosaic idea since I may use it on the lanai.

• Kari Lavecchia

If you are undecided about whether or not to paint maybe you would want to cut a piece of thin board the same size and paint or decopouge that and lay in the bottom until you find out more about the tray that way its to your taste without losing the original value of the piece.

• Devon Cretella

Try using an old luggage rack as the base and turn it into a side table. A friend of mine buys them cheap at a local hotel closeout place and paints them with chalk paint.

• CA Byam

I also think it is Tole paint I think I have seen it before when we were living in the Boston area. I remember a friend had a tray like it. Seems like it is a folk pattern BUT I may be wrong.. that has happened before.

• Jennifer W

It reminds me of Victorian botanical prints. I agree, don't paint it, it's gorgeous! Sell it if you don't like it, and let someone else enjoy the vintage beauty. :)

• Donna

It looks like a Portmeirion brand pattern. I agree, don't paint it. Give it some time, it will find a place in your home.

• Frankie Laney

@Donna I'm definitely looking up the Portmeirion pattern, now I'm hooked on finding out what I have here.

• E. Menard

Please, please leave it alone! its o.k not to be crazy about it. But, (here's the hard part) it's NOT o.k. to diminish the beauty of what it is. I know I sound kinda "well who do you think you are?" but honestly, give it some time and you'll so appreciate the tray for what it is. A lovely piece of folk art.

• Nancy Bode

@Donna seems to have the best idea of what this pattern is. It is a type of tole painting, which is folk art painted on wood or metal. Special types of tole painting are Bauernmalerei (German) Rosmaling (Scandanavian) Hindeloopen (Dutch) and Zhostovo (Russian). [I hope I spelled those correctly!] Some folk art pieces date back to the 18th century, so you may want to have someone from an art museum or quality antique store appraise it for you. You never know, you may have the next Antiques Roadshow super-find!

• Frankie Laney

@Nancy Bode Such great comments and interesting information about the type of painting on the tray. I'm happy I asked before I jumped in and sanded it all away!! I will start researching, now I really do need to know what I have. Priceless or not I will at least learn about it. Thanks everyone.

• Deanna Riles-Cox

I'm with the others. That is a stunning find. Let us know what you find out.

• Charmaine Ortega

I think large trays like this can be used on coffee tables with arrangements of candles and magazines...or to carry drinks outside or with coffee or teapots...so flexible!

• Charmaine Ortega

I suggest covering it with a plate glass or clear hard plastic board, but please DON'T PAINT IT! you will come to love it!