Asked on Aug 17, 2016

Getting grease off of wood

AnnaTamiboobooDeanna Nassar
+12

I'm looking for natural solutions to get grease off of cherry wood kitchen cabinets.
  • Debra Browning
    Debra Browning

i ordered Touch of Orange and Touch of BeesWax from Amazon to clean and recondition my golden oak kitchen cabinets. So far it is working very good and im pleased with the results

• Sobeam
    Sobeam

I use hot water and Arm and Hammer Washing Soda. Didn't strip the finish, looks great! And not a lot of work either!

• Sandra McIntyre Cramer
    Sandra McIntyre Cramer

Murphys Wood Oil Soap, have used it for years on my wood floors, works great on wood cabinets as well! You can find it most anywhere, Target or Walmart has it as well.

• Martha
    Martha

Solution of 1/3 vinegar and 2/3 water. First wipe off the cabinet just get some of grease off. Spray solution on surface. Hard part let it sit for 10 minutes, wipe off. Repeat works everytime for me

• Tonia
    Tonia

If they are really greasy make a paste of Baking Soda and warm water. If they aren't bad you can make a spray. In a spray bottle add 1 C Distilled Vinegar, a couple drops of Natural Soap, 1 Tbls Baking Soda, a couple drops essential oil, fill with warm water and shake well. Spray on and wipe off.

• Edye
    Edye

Tip I read is remove oil with oil! Tried it with cooking oil on a paper towel. Was amazed by how dirty the towel got and good my cabinet door looked.

• Thr8342114
    Thr8342114

I have used this trick for years. Itbis easy, cheap and does not require elbow grease. Go to any large grocery with an automotive section or store dealing in auto accessories and buy a can of auto mechanic hand cleaner. Use a soft brush to brush it on your cabinets, wait 10 - 15 minutes and wash off with warm water with a tiny bit of dish soap. Your cabinets will be grease free. This works on tons of things. Have fun.

• Kari Roberts
    Kari Roberts

the vinegar with baking soda works great. Especially if you soak orange peels in the vinegar for a week. Orange oil is a known grease remover.

• Sandra. Jackson
    Sandra. Jackson

Try using brown paper and a iron, I've used them to lift grease off other items and it worked, hope it works for you, good luck

• IFortuna
    IFortuna

Yes, removing grease with oil really works great. I use the furniture orange oil restoration product. You actually could use other oils. I have used olive oil with great success too. : )

• Vickie
    Vickie

I've heard of using oil and baking soda, make a paste and scrub with an old toothbrush.

• Pam Walker
    Pam Walker

DAWN & hot water. Make a slurry & with a green scrubby, wash your cabinets. Rinse with warm water & re-scrub any missed areas. Final rinse with cold water until it rinses clear water. The hot water relaxes the grease so the Dawn can grab it. The warm water helps the shock on the wood surface. The cold water contracts the wood back into it's original form & closes the pores of the wood so it won't absorb future grease as much. Once a month cleaning will help the life of the wood & make it easier to clean from now on.

• Deanna Nassar
    Deanna Nassar

Of all I read I'd go with the mechanic's had soap. I used it to get spray paint off my car one time. I also found theses instructions online: To cut through grease on kitchen cabinets without harsh cleaners: Heat a damp sponge in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds. Spray the cabinet with a citrus based cleaner Wearing dishwashing gloves to avoid burning your hands, take the hot sponge out of the microwave, and use it to remove the grease. Wipe off any remaining residue with a paper towel. The combination of the citrus cleaner and hot sponge will remove the grease in half the time without harmful chemicals.

• Tamibooboo
    Tamibooboo

I have used oven cleaner. I know it sounds crazy but it gets off the greasy scum and it has never damaged my wood on my cabinets. I spray on small areas and clean just that area, I never let it sit on the wood. I finish the cabinet and then wash it with soap and water and then when it's dry I polish the cabinet wood with orange glo

• Anna
    Anna

Murphy's Oil Soap. Mix with warm water. Use a microfiber cloth. You may have to do it a few times. Dry with an old terry towel. I would also try the suggestion with Dawn soap. Whatever method you use, use a good microfiber cloth.