Rain Gutter Bookshelves

$50
1.5 Hours

For those of you who tuned in to the Hometalk Facebook Live Segment on mine and Rob's house a few weeks ago, you may remember someone tuning in and suggesting I do a rain gutter bookshelf project. You may also remember Miriam relaying a shout out from an audience member named Alex, telling me that, "Bo says, 'hi mommy!'" I knew that one of my best friends here on Long Island, Alex, was tuning in for the segment at her house while she babysat my son (Bo), but I had no clue until after the segment that she was the one who suggested rain gutter bookshelves. I wanted to do this project in Bo's room but I'm literally all out of space in there so I decided to put them together for Alex's son's nursery instead. She was super pumped when I asked her if I could do them at her house and I'm so excited to introduce this project to y'all! It took a little while for me to figure out what in the world I was doing but overall, it ended up being fairly easy and I'm so happy with the finished product.
SUPPLIES:
1 – 10’ white K-style vinyl gutter
4 – white K-style vinyl joiners
2 – white K-style vinyl end cap sets (they come in sets of 2)
2 – white K-style vinyl inside mitre (these are the middle sections of the shelves)
-1.5" drywall screws
-drill
-pencil
-measuring tape
-level
(Sorry, I don't have a photo of the supplies but you can see everything I used in the step-by-step photos.)
STEP 1: Cut gutter
The first thing I did was – using my chop saw – carefully and slowly cut my gutter into four even pieces. Since the gutter was 10’ long, I measured and marked every 2.5' on the gutter.
STEP 2: Attach end caps
Next, I placed an end cap on the left end of two of my gutter pieces; then did the same for the right end of those same two gutter pieces.
You should have 4 pieces of gutter—two with an end cap on the left and two with an end cap on the right.
STEP 3: Join gutters
After my end caps were on, I took one of the shelves that had a left end cap and slipped on the bottom/cushion part of the joiner. I slid it on until the gutter was about half way in (photo 1) then I took one of the shelves that had a right end cap and slide it on to the same joiner (photo 2) until the left gutter piece and the right gutter piece were touching (photo 3).
Next, I took the plain/top piece of the joiner (photo 4) and, clipping it on at the top first (photo 5) then snapped it into place from the bottom (photo 6). Repeat for your two remaining gutter pieces.
*Note: Since I’ve never done this project before and have never handled gutters, I was so afraid I was going to break the joiner and/or the front of the gutter during this step, but you really have to almost man-handle these pieces because they fit on super snug.
STEP 3: Mount shelves to wall
Lastly, I marked in the corner of the wall with a pencil where Alex wanted the corner of the bottom shelf to hang. Then, I used a level to make sure the gutter was sitting evenly (is that a word?) on the wall and marked where the end of the future was on the wall.
Next, I had Alex hold the gutter on the marks while I drilled them securely to the wall. We repeated this step for the top shelf.
*Note: Initially, I went crazy trying to deal with anchors and that was proving to be a nightmare so with Alex's permission, I x'd the anchors since she didn't intend to load the gutters with books. Overall, however, the gutters felt very sturdy when I was finished mounting them to the wall so I feel confident that they will hold just fine without anchors.
I'm so in love with this little reading nook for Ray J to hang out in when he gets old enough! Once Rob, Bo (our son) and I move, I plan to put several of these rain gutter bookshelves up in his new room.

• Julie Wilson

You were having anchor issues, did any ideas come to you after you finished? I ask because this would be great for my cats if we can anchor them.

• Roc33605681

Julie, depending on where you place the gutters, you would probably be able to find several studs. The corners would have studs and there would be another one about 16" from the corner (on average). It looks like that would be strong enough to hold cats- unless they are real heavy cats.

• Jeannie B

Do you think command strips would hold the gutter for books on a block wall? We are not allowed to do anything to the school walls that might might leave marks.

• Sally Ann Perkins

I was thinking of putting a few houseplants in the gutter ,like ivys,and putting them up a little higher what's your thoughts on this?