Laundry DIY Makeover

I have been wanting to accomplish a whole room makeover and what's better than the smallest room in the house? The Laundry! Here are some steps of the one month long weekend project :)
BEFORE AND AFTER
This is what we had:
- Builder's beige paint
- Wire shelving
- Vinyl floors
- No storage
- No folding space
First I dragged out the appliances and pulled up the floor. I was so lucky! No fuss, the glue was totally dried up and came up easy-peasy. Then I painted the room with Sherwin Williams Silvermist. Had I done it again, I would ask for a 50% lightened version but I am still happy with the color.
I bought 2 unfinished oak wall cabinets at Home Depot for $54 each. Got some bead board and covered the sides and the doors, added some trim and painted the cabinets with a color that was matched off of the door and trim (which turned out a little too dark/cream to my liking but live and learn).
You can see the side of the cabinet here. I added the board and some trim.
The doors just needed the boards cut in the middle.
Caulked, primed and painted them.
Hung them on the wall. This was a bit of a challenge as the room is awfully NOT square, LOL. Took some measuring and at the end I decided to Go from the ceiling.
Added a closet rod in the middle for cloth-hangers.
Then finished it up with a shelf on top, plus a piece of crown molding attached to it, to make it look built in. That $10 and hour of work made a huge difference!
Ugh, tiling! NOT MY FAVORITE! First time laying tile and run into a total catastrophe, took me 3 hours to lay 5 pieces of tile. Finally gave up and asked for some help.
I did the grout myself, that was a little bit easier. :)
Bought some better looking molding and installed them.
Then finished up with a folding station that is a $26 hollow core door cut to size, held up by 2x4 screwed onto the wall around.
And DONE! Please let me know what you think :) Thank you!

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
16 Floating Shelves That Will Stun Guests
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
32 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized

• Chefpatricia
    Chefpatricia

Love what you did, especially the shelf over the machines. Can't wait to show my husband....and the clock.
  • Barbara
    Barbara

Absolutely beautiful! I wish I had a laundry room this big. Well done.