The Easiest Rust Remover

$2

I’m a really big fan of rescuing objects, because I don’t believe in throwing things away that still have use in them. Sometimes though you get something and think, “that’s the end of this”, like this rusty pan. But then I found this great tip to remove rust from metal using coke and tinfoil.

Here’s my rusty pan. It's clearly seen too many cheesecakes. I didn't think I could bake with it again.

Step 1: Gather Your Materials

All I used was a bottle of coke and a scrunched up piece of tinfoil.

Step 2: Pour the Coke

I poured the coke all over my pan. There is some chemical reaction that quickly gets the rust off. This is mostly surface rust, so I could wipe it off after a few minutes. For deeper rust you have to let it sit for longer.

Step 3: Scrub with Foil

The coke loosens all the rust, and the foil takes it off. With just a few scrubs all the rust comes off.

Step 4: Rinse Your Pan

Just rinse the coke and rust off your pan. My hands actually got kinda orange while doing this. I'm not sure why...

Tada! All clean. Instant rust remover.

Look at the difference! Now I can bake again!

• Bottle of coke
  • Tinfoil

• Franki Green

Is there any reason why you couldn't wear rubber gloves to protect your hands from the orange rust colouring?

• Marianne

No. Not that I know. The orange stain is from the rust (iron oxide) and possibly it's teaction with chemicals in the coke. Theoretically these shouldn't react with the rubber gloves. I prefer surgical gloves from the pharmacy. The active agent in the coke is probably the acid and the reaction is similar to cleaning silver with foil vinegar and bicarb, etc

• Franki Green

Ah. It was because you'd mentioned that your hands had gone slightly orange that had me wondering if something in the coke and the rust combined might melt the rubber. Goodness me,it's putting me off from drinking coke now. If it's strong enough to rid us of that rust,whatever is it doing to our insides! And it is strong enough,just as you showed! I'm ignorant on that concept of cleaning silver. I'm going to explore your blog now and read your other ideas,but first I'll take the coke out of the fridge and put it with the cleaning materials! Giggling.

• Shawna Bailey

It looks better in the video. :-(

• Franki Green

Aaaaww,Shawna. No sad faces dear. It looks amazing in the video and so do all my very old pie dishes and my oven wracks!!

• Deborah morris

I have heard police have bottle of coke in they're cars to use to clean blood off roads and paths

• Mfbandit769

racks

• Mfbandit769

Maybe in England, but not here in the U.S.

• Lyn2235998

If coke does this too rust, what's it doing to your inside?

• Melanie Held Young

Prolonged consumption can cause stomach problems

• Ken

If you have a springform pan inside you should probably not consume cola drinks without consulting your doctor.

• Shawna Bailey

I know!

• Scott

lots of people think of it that way but rust is simply iron that has oxidized and wont harm you, coke on the other hand

• Mfbandit769

The answer is that most of you obviously never took chemistry in high school or college. The chemical reaction between coke and metal is entirely different than that of drinking it. I drink coke all the time and have never had any problems. Use your heads, people. Don't be dumb enough to believe everything someone tells you.... do some research on your own.

• Sjt29229935

Hang a piece of meat in a coke and see what happens.

• Norma Thrift

Good question that why I don't drank soda

• Kathleen Hayes Bullock

Do you have any secret way to remove contact paper glue from wood?

• Sophia,M.,McConnery

There is a product at the dollar stores that sell Goo Gone.Just apply a thin layer,let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.You can scrape it off easy after that.

• Barbara Tremain Dodge

Is the contact paper still attached, or is it just the glue? If it's still the paper, you might want to try gently heating it with a hair dryer to soften the glue and peel the mess away.

• Alyse

use alcohol, will disolve the gumminess

• Kathy Horvath

Mineral spirits will remove glue residue.

• Shawna Bailey

Orange oil.

• Kathleen Hayes Bullock

I actually got a large razor blade and scraped the entire surface. It went quickly and was very effective. Thanx all!

• Hand MadeHome

A heat gun! And goo gone...or a hair dryer on high then an oily cleaner or citrus cleaner...sometimes just vegetable oil will dissolve tacky surfaces once they've been warmed. Worked for me...

• Kathy Truden Brassard

WD-40 is great for getting sticky stuff off of stuff! Price stickers and stuff like that!

• Mlu31793750

You know the wire shelving they use in closets? Well I bought a home that was 20 years old. The shelving was sticky brown and gross. I tried everything and then one day I hit on it! WD-40. Sprayed it in and wiped away all the gunck. Amazingly quick and easy!

• Bronee

Kathleen, Mlucostic said it. I was going to recommend WD40. I use it on all kinds of adhesives and it's never let me down.

• Jo Powell

How would you go about removing rust from floor tile?

• D

For my tile floors I put Spic and Spam in a bucket with hot water... as hot as my hands will tolerate!!! Then, on my knees (NOT an easy job) I dampen the floor with a wet cloth. Pour Spic and Span with oxicleaner then, with a sponge that is rough on one side SCRUB!!!! IT IS NOT AN EASY JOB..... BUT AT THE END WHEN YOU ARE TUCKERED OUT... SIT ON A CHAIR AND YOU CAN TELL YOURSELF..... NOW THAT IT IS DONE... I'M GLAD I DID IT!!!! Remember, I warned you...... it is a HARD job so I hope your area is small!!!

• Linda Yates Rudnicki

how would you clean rust from carpet? we have had carpet shampooed, but rust spot remains.

• Shawna Bailey

Ajax and a toothbrush

• OldTimeTinker

The best stuff I've ever found for removing rust stains from fabric, tile, porcelain or just about anything else is a product called Whink. It's often rather hard to find at local stores, but is available from Amazon.com

, Whink Rust Stain Remover
  • Jgg7756935

How to clean silver dishes

• Suzanne

what would take the paint drips off of brick house

• Dee

pressure washer.

• Ama

Wire brush & paint thinner.

• M j BALLARD

Soaking a cloth in full strength vinegar and letting it sit. Will usually do the trick or spray water to wet the brick and then spray with vinegar about every 10 min. Do this in shade... Scrub with brush after every vinegar spray. Good luck

• Shawna Bailey

Not cola.

• Jan Belmont

Try Krud Kutter. You can find it almost anywhere.

• Sarah

how do you get water marks off wood table top?

• Peggy Hines

Very easy...take a double folded linen tea towel and place over water mark. Heat up your iron to highest setting. Iron over towel till water mark is gone.

• Dee

water marks are usually the accumulation of products like pledge for polishing and dusting. Take a clean white cotton towel and place 2 layers thick over spot and use a moderately hot iron and iron the towel. The "ring will be absorbed.

• J

I transported an antique cabinet on the top of my car and it started to rain, leaving lots of water marks. When I asked around some one told me to try applying mayonnaise on them. It worked.

• Jean

Make a paste using baking soda and a little water. Using a clean soft cloth, rub the paste over the water mark until mark is gone. Polish as usual. Works every time

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, use and iron.

• Stephanie Potter

How to clean brass

• Kda5402111

How to get dried paint off hardwood floors?

• TMP

Scrape off what you can with a razor blade. Then clean any remaining residue with a product called Goof Off. (Available in hardware stores). Pour a bit of it on a clean cleaning cloth and rub the dried paint area. Poof! Paint gone.

• Vicki Prullage Murray

Goof Off...Great for removing stickers, dried latex paint, marker & more. Home Depot has a small container of it...Wal-Mart has it, but it's a large container...Hope this helps!

• Shawna Bailey

Not with cola.

• Deede Bolger

will this work on a cast iron skillet

• Shirley Duis

I use cast iron at our camper a lot. To clean them I use rock salt, oil and a little water. Scrub until clean. Clean out the salt, etc. Then coat with oil. Even when they do get some rust if I leave them outside, it cleans up.

• Shawna Bailey

No, use some kosher salt and a damp rag.

• Chr9491305

what is an organic cleaner for car headlights?

• Debby

First, are these pictures real? Second, can I use this method on my Stainless Steel pans?

• Michele

I question the accuracy of the after picture. Maybe I'm wrong but rust usually leaves pit marks. looks like a new pan.

• C

Why didn't you take the pan apart? That would make more sense....

• Sharon Hubbell Portch

Michele, my thoughts exactly. Some small pieces too hard to get so perfect.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, and yes.

• Raj9639733

Is it possible to use something besides coke.? I don't drink soda. Or, should I just bite the bullet and go out and buy one can?

• Daterp999

Are you kidding?

• Nancy Simon Hensley

I have tried using other brands of soda. It doesn't work. Has to be Coke. Bite the bullet.

• Sto9987562

Just buy A single bottle

• Dawn Renee' Lemons Freeman

Go buy one. The acid in the Coke is what dissolved the gunk--it's one of the most acidic sodas on the market. It's also great for getting corrosion off your car battery terminals.

• Cxxx

I don't drink any of my cleaning products.

• Gina

and just think! If Coke can take off acid on a car battery, think about what it is doing to your stomach?

• Amy Meyer

a fireman told me that if you burn an empty coke aluminum can in your woodstove... it helps eliminate soot also !

• Gayle

Yum dissolves rust, really makes me want to drink it! (Sarcasm)

• Susan Bechamp

It doesn't have to be fresh. Stale (open bottle gone flat) coke also works. It's not the carbonization that works on rust, so you can get something useful out of flat soda.

• Shawna Bailey

You can try using white vinegar

• Barbara

Will it work on buildup from baked on cooking spray?

• Debra Miller Colmenares

The only way I know of to remove cooking spray buildup is using Easy Off oven cleaner. You don't have to heat the pan, just spray and let it sit a while. Then use non abrasive scrubber. Wash and rinse.

• Agnes

I used some baking soda and water to wet the whole area where the baked on grease is and just wipe with a plastic scrubber after half an hour. Repeat as needed.

• Shawna Bailey

No.

• Ptc10650953

Doesn't the tin foil scratch up the pan?

• Danielle

Will it work on cast iron?

• Cindy Pirani

Vegetable oil, heated in the cast iron, then cooled, and wiped with paper towels, repeating as necessary will remove the rust. It will also season the cast iron so that food will not stick, including eggs. Never wash with soap or dish rags. Use only hot water and plastic scrubbers to clean. Sometimes repeating the seasoning will be required after cooking some things.

• B

Put your rust cast iron pans in self cleaning oven. Works great. Then season them.

• Shawna Bailey

Use some kosher salt and a rag to rub the rust off cast iron.

• John

What about the rust on the outside of the pan? Did you soak the entire pan?

• Shawna Bailey

No, it just needed to be poured over the rust. It's so strong it didn't even need a soak.

• Marsha Atchison

Does Pepsi work the same or must it be Coke?

• Vee

The light fixture in my bathroom is getting rusty. can I apply coke with a rag or something ?

• R Walter

turn off the power first, but a soaking is what does the trick. the acid in the coke will also clean dirty battery post. And to think millions of people drink that stuff.

• Giselle

I scrubbed my beaters from my electric mixer with just tin foil and it removed all the rust. This way you wouldn't need to take down your fixture but it does take some elbow grease!

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, but turn the power off or take it off the wall first.

• Betty Segura

It could work for an oven???

• Barrie Templeton

The acid in Coke reacts with iron oxide (rust) to release it from the metal. I don't think Coke would work on burned-on stuff very well; try a baking soda paste (and some elbow grease).

• Catherine

I agree, most of what is happening with an oven is burned on food, most notorious for me is sweet potatoes. Oven liners are great once you have cleaned the oven.

• Frema Byrd

Or good old fashioned Easy Off. NOTHING works better.

Ah contraries Frema! If you have a bird, Ms. Byrd :), Easy Off fumes will kill it:( Here is a quick, easy and fume free solution (even if you can't smell them, they're there!) to burnt on gunk! Make a paste with Cream of Tartar, not the stuff you put on fish, but the dry stuff, and a bit of vinegar. Spread it on your gunk, let it sit for about 30 seconds and wipe it off. Make it a bit thicker for vertical surfaces. If you have crud on the floor of your oven, most will come out for easy cleaning. You may have to do this a couple of times, but it really works. My mom was up to her waist in her oven one day and I asked her what she was doing and she bumped her head crawling out to tell me that she was cleaning her oven floor. I said "Watch this!", and flipped the little paddles on the sides of the oven floor and slid it out. She stared an me and said "Why didn't I know that earlier?" But, the vinegar and cream of tartar really sent her around the bend. She had her oven cleaned in no time!
  • Hank Arnold

Can you imagine what it does to your digestive system?

• Karen Garner

Do you mean aluminum foil? Or is tin foil different thing?

• Catherine

Same thing!

• Brenda

Same thing

• Frema Byrd

No it isn't the same thing. The original foil was made of tin, it became aluminum foil post WWII but it works the same way without the rust.

• Audrey

same

• Gay10019660

Think it depends which country you live in coz it's tinfoil in NZ. Amazing how it worked but makes me wonder what coke does to stomachs

• Karen Garner

Thanks to all. Especially to Gsyd51. I agree about coke, a friend always cleans his windshields with coke. Scary.

• Joe Toland

My 86 year old grandpa said naaaa it won't hurt you. He's drank at least 1 every day since he was a kid.

• Shawna Bailey

Same thing!

• Greg

Tin foil has not existed for decades, but people still call aliminum foil tin foil although it has no tin in it!

• Karen Garner

Thks to all who helped e understand difference between tinfoil and aluminum foil. I am now fully educated.

• Greg

My pleasure

• OldTimeTinker

It's still called "tin foil" even though it hasn't been made of tin for about 70 years. "Tin" is easier and faster to say than "aluminum". Tin and aluminum are completely different elements but, like many metals, both are capable of being rolled out very thin. Aluminum is just cheaper while being relatively inert (doesn't combine with other substances).

Then they should call it 'thin' foil! :) Here we just say 'foil'. Yup, we're just that lazy! HAHA
  • Sjkfluff

Could it work in rusty bike chains? You did a great job on that pan!

• Patricia Norman

Put the chain in white vinegar and let it sit for a few hours.

• Toni

Yes. I have done it

• Patricia Caldwell

Did it as a kid.

• Catherine

Replace the chain, it probably is stretched, yes they do!

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, it does. and thank you. Use some WD-40 on e chain after you get the rust off.

• Greg

It depends upon how long ago you let the chain get rusty. It also depends on where you ride. Do not take cances. Bike chains are fairly cheap. I also recommend using proper bike chain oil. WD 40 is a great product, but it is a Water Dispersant (hence WD) and not a total lubricant.

• Meme Vick

Asked b4, but could not find answer. Need to clean rusty outdoor cast iron table and chairs. Lots of crevices.

• Carolesanford

Put the coke in a spray bottle & use an old scrub brush.

• Catherine

I found a great rust remover at Lowes that I put in a spray bottle and it worked great, might use metal brush as well.

• Cor8156758

Cathrine, what is the name of the rust remover you found at Lowe's?

• Shawna Bailey

What Carolesanford said. Put the coke in a spray bottle and use either tinfoil or a metal scrub brush.

• Bobby

And we drink this product!

• Reen

Just as she said . While coke is sitting in pan , go buy a new one. No one will know the differance.

• Ethel G

l this work om Aluminum Siding?

• Bob Sgle

No... aluminum does not rust

• V.t8292585

Sweet!! I've been asking & you have saved me a lot of time,Thanks for sharing, I need to get busy!!

• Shawna Bailey

I haven't tried it, I wonder if anyone else has?

• Teresa Davis

Aluminum doesn't rust and the foil would scratch it. Try straight bleach with a pump sprayer and wait 30 min. then rinse.

• Dawn Russell

does it work with any cola or do you need coke brand

• Jennie Lee

Any cola would work; it's the acid in it. But like I said in the comments: you can use vinegar, which is cheaper.

• Shawna Bailey

I only used coke brand. Jennie coke is cheaper because you need much less of it. For vinegar you need to soak the wholething in it. With coke you just pour a little bit on.

• Sue

Coke also works on stained up toliets

• Reen

When you are rinsing the pan still has shadowed rust? The pan you use as after looks brand new, is that just for effect?

• Catherine H. Hansler

I would say it is a brand new pan

• Wanda Godwin Sellers

Yep it looks like a NEW pan to me!

• Reen

I just wanted to know if the pan on the "new" pan side was the original pan that you brought back to life . If not than it is a new pan and I think you owe a "sorry" to all the woman and girls who tried this more than once. If you are going to use a different product just put that in the program you are sending out. But it did a pretty good cleaning,but nothing is perfect.

• Shawna Bailey

no the rust before washing was all the rust residue that had just come loose with the tinfoil. besides being on the pan it also got all over my hands. it just needed a rinse off. Try this yourself and you'll see how it looks.

• Reen

Sorry but that is a new pan.

• Sue Laswell

Can you use Diet Coke?

• Norma Alls Short

If y'all had paid attention and noticed that the lock springs on the side of each pan is different! Definitely a New pan on the right hand side....shame on the person trying to pull this off...what a sham!

• Andi Risley

The locks look the same to me.

• Reen

Not

• Linda Jordan Scott

There's a little bubble in the bottom of the original rusted pan and also in the cleaned pan. It's the same pan. And why would she make up such a story? What good would it do her or anyone else for her to put something like this on the internet if it wasn't true. Have a little faith people.

• Ediue

can you use pepsi

• Amarillolesa

I would try the Pepsi if that's what you have on hand. If it doesn't work then you go buy the coke. I don't think it's the brand that matters.

• Shelley Beachler

No Pepsi will not work. Has to be coke

• Irma Salazar

Pepsi is for drinking, Coke is for eating up rust. Lol...

• Mary Burr Baldwin

Aren't we all thrilled that we have been putting this in our bodies for years? I have also heard of using Coke to clean a badly stained toilet bowl or sink.

• Renae

Mary, I say that too when I tell people that I use it when washing my husband's greasy work clothes!

• Shawna Bailey

It's not as acidic

• Debbie

I have two iron planters that habe rusted and have no way for them to "sit" in Coke. Will this work if I just our it over them? Thank you.

• Cynthia Marshall

I've seen videos of removing rust on car bumpers by pouring it over. It may take several times of doing it.

• Amarillolesa

What if you put an old towel over the rusted areas and poured the coke on the towel so it is soaking wet with coke? That way the coke could stay on the rusted areas for a few minutes, then take the towel off and rub with the foil.

• Debbie

Great idea! Thank you so much! Have an awesome day! Deb Rishavy

• Shawna Bailey

If it's cast iron try to sand off the rust

• Carisa

Do you think this could work on a cast iron skillet?

• Dol13041440

I would think so...

• Molly Zippy

You can use easy-off oven cleaner on cast iron pans-- works great!

• Sis10336654

be sure to heavily re-oil cast iron and bake in 225F oven for about an hour after you remove rust with any method.

• Shawna Bailey

No use a damp cloth and some kosher salt.

• Lyn

First use an sos pad rinse, oil, wipe out, bake in preheated oven at 225 for an hour then recoil and never use anything but kosher salt and damp cloth to clean.

• Vee

will this work in the bath tub and sink? the ring has rusted.

• Annie

I have lots of keys, some old, some just rusty and cruddy. Should I put them in a glass bowl, let them sit and then scrub w/ the foil? Can't use chemicals.

• Dawn DeRijk

Same effect with Diet Coke?

• Erik Henderson

Will this work for cast iron pan and skillets?

• Lyn

Do not do this to cast iron. Just use a soap pad like Brillo or SOS. Then rinse with water, then oil good, wipe, set upside down in heated oven (300) turn oven off let it cure then oil again and wipe excess off. Always clean with sea salt and wipe out. Do not put in dish water.

• Shawna Bailey

Don't d this on sat iron. scrub off the rust with some kosher salt and a damp rag then reseaon. and season regularly

• Sharron

My mom used it to clean some badly rusted cast iron BBQ grates that had been siitting unused for about 3 years. She was then 92 or 93 years old and legally blind. She spent a week or so soaking then scrubbing little each day. After re-seasoning they are still working great, and so is mom

• Charna Harris

What about refrigerator door?

• Michillo Mccaughey

How did u clean the outside of the tin as coke wont sit on it, where as in the tin it can be left sitting ?

• Marlyn Ely

Just place the pan in a large pot and cover with coke and let it sit for a few minutes. You might have to buy the large bottle to do this but you won't have anymore rust when you are done scrubbing!!!

• Estelle Brown

Coke is the answer never thought of cleaning utensils with it I knew it was good though. I will definitely remember this hint.

• Mary

And we drink this!

• Shawna Bailey

You can put it in a larger bowl, but most of it will come off with just the coke dripped onto like it the video.

• Pat5829378

Poor stomachs

• Dan7870498

Can you use this to clean bottom of cooking pans ,for so reason l just can't clean the bottom of my pans .it's a non stick pan but for some reason when l clean the pan the bottom just won't clean .

• Susan Lord

I have a white onyx bathroom sink that has stains around the drain. I can't use anything caustic because it will pit the stone. I've tried baking soda and also toothpaste, but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

• Christy

The safest thing to do is Google the sink manufacturer onyx, marble, stone company and ask their advice. I read you can use diluted ammonia, among other things such as auto body cleaning compounds. I would hate to tell you to try something I hadn't already successfully tried and your entire sink become ruined. Good luck and let us know what worked!

• Shawna Bailey

sorry I've never cleaned onyx before. maybe make a post in the discussions sections of hometalk and ask people there?

• Dahliaqueen

Does it have to be Coca Cola, or would a store brand work just as well??? I am not a brand loyal customer, and and half the price, think it will work??

• Robby Treichel

Yes, any Cola will work. Ugh, and to think I was addicted to Diet Pepsi for 39 years. I use the stuff to clean my car battery terminals also. Really bad for our innards though!

• Marti Lou

Yet magically delicious!

• Shawna Bailey

Any brand will work but I think coca cola works a little better. It just seems to be stronger.

• Charly

I'm 69 years old and I remember my father use Coke and dirt as a rust remover on his car bumpers. He would pour a little Coke in the dirt and make a paste and then just rub it on the bumper and it took every bit of the rust off. Can you imagine what it does to your system?😲

• Carol Davis

What about toilet bowl rust stains?

• Shawna Bailey

I've used a pumice stone before.

• Giz19085889

I would try baking soda and vinegar . Sprinkle the baking soda and Spray vinagar n let sit for awhile . Use scrub brush then flush . For stubborn stains maybe CLR

• C Van Houten

I find that the cheap toilet bowl cleaner you can get at Walmart and the Dollar store (called The Works) is the best stuff for removing stains. If it's a bad stain, I put it in, leave it for eight hours or more, then scrub it off. It always does the trick.

• Pun10014796

I use The Works as well. For tough rust stains and only if your toilet is white there is a product called Whink. It comes in a liquid and a powder. I recommend the liquid. You just squirt the rust stain and it disappears before your eyes. Excellent on all fabrics also. Be extremely careful and not get this stuff everywhere. it does come with precautions.

• Dianne Miller

You can remove the stains with a bottle of coke also. Pour it around .. swish .. flush

• Gle17465133

...WOW....I guess this is why my Mom wouldn't let me drink Coke as a kid...

• Maggie Kimble-Bernard

Pumice stone will scratch the finish. Pour in a can of Coke, Pepsi, or Dr. Pepper. Let sit overnight for tough stains

• Jan

Just learned this trick after many years (over 50) of scrubbing toilet bowls. Use Borax, let it set for a couple of hours and than take a rag and wipe it off. You might have to rub a little if it is really bad. It will take rust, yellow stains, lime stone deposits, mold, whatever right off.

• Jane Boeve

How can rust be removed from cement?

• Avk14103103

Can it be diet Coke?

• Mrobinsonpaquette

Yes - the sugar is not what removes the rust. Coke is also used to clean engine blocks!

• Martha

Imagine how good that soda pop is for your tummy!

• Connie Marse

It's the acid in Cokes that makes it work. Also eats your bones when you drink it.

• The acid in coke is less than a glass of orange juice. Then there is the hydrochloric acid in your stomach already. You figure it out.

• Fawn

It can also erode the enamel off your teeth!!

• Alice

I have to comment: I just turned 77. I still have all but one of my tearing, don't have arthritis or osteoporosis, ulcers, and drink at least two cans of Diet Coke a day and have since I was a kid. It's not particularly good for you, maybe, but ..... Having made that point, I'm going to try this on that tart pan I keep meaning to throw away.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes

• Isabel Abreu

Hello I have this problem with a cake tin like this but funnily enough it is supposed to be non stick . Can I use the same system ? please reply to micnra@gmil.com thanks

• Lynn Halonen

do not use scrunched foil on a no stick pan - try a plastic scrubber or better yet look for the ones some knitters/crocheters make with that stiff wiry sort of yarn.

• Shawna Bailey

Yes, use a plastic scrubber or use a scrunched up plastic bag. Alternatively you can also try soaking it in white vinegar

• Isabel Abreu

thank you SO MUCH

• Vicki Cain

I understand how this works on the inside but your outside was rusty too. My question is how did you do the outside with just a bottle of Coke, wouldn't you have to put pan in large container and cover in coke?

• Sieglinden

It looks like a new pan was substituted for the rusted one.

• Shawna Bailey

It actually doesn't need to sit there. Just pouring it over the outside was enough to use it as a cleaner. This was just surface rust though. for something that has much deeper rust it would need to soak

• Susie

That was my thought. It DOES look like a new pan was substituted for the rusted one! If so, shame.

• Debbie

Will this work on cast iron?

• SMG13834316

Doesn't the aluminum foil scratch the pan when you are rubbing the pan or whatever you are trying to get the rust off?

• Shawna Bailey

A little. So if the metal has grain, go in the direction of the grain. But honestly a lightly scratched pan is better than a rusty pan

• Kimberly Wrinkle

Ummmmm..... a slightly scratched pan being used is a no-no! The finish of these baking pans is coated and formaldehyde is used as part of the chemical undercoating. (If you don't know what that is, it is embalming fluid used to preserve bodies before burial---trust me, it's NOT something you want in your food!). I personally will throw my baking pans away after they are scratched up and just buy another. I also use LOTS of parchment paper in baking to help preserve my coated baking pans, and I've yet to see one that's NOT coated.

• Eliza Spear

That is only if they have a non stick coating...regular metal pans don't have that problem

• Jackie Smith

You know, I just can't stand misinformation. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind tree huggers, it's the ones that give out wrong or out dated information. While baking pans do contain PFOA's, it is in such a minimal amount that it is almost immeasurable. Even the fumes have been tested up to Temps of over 600f without harmful amounts being emitted. Don't think I'm going to be baking at 600 degrees anyway. So thanks for the info on how to clean my old rusty bakeware. I'll keep on baking in it. You can throw yours out if you want!

• Crao1960

Thanks Jackie, I'm glad you wrote this. My version was not quite as nice seeing I don't have filters in me. I wonder if that lady ever drank from a hose as a kid, or used the same cutting board for everything!!

• Alina Rude

I've used baking soda and salt scrubs to remove rust with a heavy brush from cast iron pans to baking tins as well. Parchment paper is the way to go if you're worried about stuff in the coating.

• Red15328538

Does it clean out my stomach as well? LOL

• Elise

Yes

• Elise

Yes

• Elise

Yes

• Carol

Truthfully, yes. Look up what it can eat thru.

• Alina Rude

Cops use it to clean blood off of road ways after an accident and students use it to melt nails, teeth and bone particulates in schools. Pretty sure it's border line cleaning solvent thus not great for the body lol.

Again, it doesn't just sit there, it's moving through your system.
  • Haley

Do you need to oil the pan to prevent rust returning, like you would do with a wok?

• Smc2409141

Will diet coke work, or does it need to be regular?
    • Shawna Bailey

I think it works also. I don't use diet soda some I'm not sure

• Linda

Yes it will work. It's the phosphoric acid in the cola that's responsible for the rust removal.

• Nancy

Is the pan in the "after" picture the same one after being scrubbed? It appears to be a brand new pan.

• Shawna Bailey

It is. The coke eats through rust

• Renee C Radclyffe

imag what it does to your stomach!!!!!! lol
    • GeeJudy

How did you get the rust off the outside. Coke won't stick there?
    • H

Put in a shallow bowl with the coke and rotate after soaking?
    • Shawna Bailey

Actually just pouring t over helped the rust. The rust on the outside was mostly surface rust and the coke was so caustic it took it off
    • UpLATEagain

How do you keep it from rusting again? Rust pits and easts away the metal. Pits, abrasions and holes don't go away.
    • Har22773053

Buy a new pan
  • Donna

willi t work on rust anywhere??

• Barbie

Is that a teflon pan? Seems foil would tear that up pretty good. Thats why it looks like a new pan to me.
    • Elizabeth Yasik

I thought so too. But.....if you look at the bottom rim to the left of the clamp it looks the same in the before & after pictures.
    • Shawna Bailey

Hi, it's the same pan. And not Teflon.
  • Mic14252807

Will this work on cast iron pots
  • JoAnn Bethea

can i use this same method to clean the inside and outside of my Stainless
    Steel pots ! If NO what can I do to have them look like brand new again
  • Michelle

Why don't you use gloves when scrubbing it to keep your hands from turning orange?
  • Denise Briscoe Long

Can I use Diet Coke?
  • Naomi Ross

Will this work on cast-iron pots and pans?
    • Dou7982723

I doubt it, but I clean all my cast iron every year very easily. I put it my self clean oven and run it through a cycle. The high heat makes little piles of gunk on my cast iron. I do a soap and water wash, rinse well, then season with shortening rubbed all over, heat, repeat. They all look fantastic!
    • Sally divis

I was taught to not scrub cast iron as it messes with built up conditioning.
    • Pat

Question for Dougnsheila: but will cleaning in your self cleaning oven get rid of rust?
    • Dgsdks

Pat, I think the 'piles of gunk' Dougnsheila was talking about was the rust.
    • Naomi Ross

OK how much shortening and heat for how long, what temperature and how do you sit it in the oven. up right, upside down, over a pan or nothing for a drip pan?
  • Peg8190238

Imagine what the coke does to your stomach!
    • Mto8639566

it's a good way to stop vomiting, and the runs!! Believe me!

Um, the coke doesn't stay in your stomach or intestines. It's in a constant state of flux, travelin' through just like everything you eat.
  • How did she soak the clasp? In a sink full of coke? Just askin'
  • Dianna

I'm trying to remove rust from feet off a claw foot tub
    is this gonna really work or am I just wasting a good coke?
    is only coca cola the only brand? Will
    RC cola work?
    • Heather Widran

As far as I know, only Coke works. And if it's cast iron, make sure to check it every few minutes, it can cause pitting if left on too long.
    • Nancy

no coke is good for drinking.

• Becky Drummond Byrom

Can you use diet coke?
  • Dee

Do you have an easy way to remove rust from cement driveways?
    • Debbie Anders

I always use miriatic acid. It’s dangerous as it is so strong. Do not smell it and use as little as possible. Water neutralizes it. Let it soak for a bit then soap, water and a good, stiff broom to scrub should take, rust, oil and pretty much any stain away.
  • Marilyn Swainston

How do I get yellow stain off my lineolumn floors where I use rubber backed rugs?

• Debra Dathe

You probably can't remove it. It is a reaction between the rubber and the vinyl flooring.
  • Denise Hosner

Doesn't the RUST eat off the non- stick coating on the pan?
    • Cwh6899259

I think the non-stick coating would be destroyed with the aluminum foil. This is a picture of a new pan in the after. You will never convince me that is the same pan.
    • Gayl

That pan isn’t non-stick. Its aluminum. I used this method on my Pyrex, and it got all that burnt on yuck off. My cookie sheet looks good too
    • Carol

Thanks. I have a sheet pan I plan to try cleaning your way.
    • Glo32212862

I have some muffin tins I am going to try this on; if I didn't throw them out already.
  • Dol10116384

does it work on a brass tray??
    • Bijous

No, you will scratch the brass. Do the magnet test. If it sticks, it is probably rust coming through the thin brass plate. If it doesn't, it has corroded (brass doesn't rust), so use a brass polish to remove. Brass plated: use a lemon that's been sprinkled with salt and go over the entire area until gone. Rinse and spray a polyurethane sealer over it. Good luck.

• Patricia

how to get rust off grab bars over bathtub?
    • Annette Hesse

Bar keepers friend Soft... dont use regular bar keepers friend, it will scratch the chrome or stainless. The SOFT (liquid) does a very nice job. Its removes rust and polishes the metal

• Beverly Vigue-Tonkin

i have used a Brillo pad in the past I didn’t notice any scratches. Took the rust off and looked great after.

• Bill

Did u use “tinfoil” or aluminum foil. I am unable to find tinfoil.

• Suzanne Tutton

I think you’re safe with aluminum foil. I actually saw something using cream of tartar and aluminum foil on a not so expensive stainless steel pan. It looked amazing. Looked brand new!
    • Suzanne Tutton

I should have read my note before I posted it. What I meant to say was that I did use the cream of tartar and aluminum foil method and it worked fabulous. Next time, I will be trying the Coke. Let us know how it works out for you.
    • Bill

what I find works even better is to heat white vinegar in the pan then add backing soda.

• Sue Ferguson

I believe tinfoil is just an old fashioned name for aluminum foil.

• Bar33281732

Tin foil has not existed since WW2, having been superceded by aluminum. The same thing happened to tin cans. If you want tin, buy pewter.

• Joannbernard425b

Will it work on a knife I have s really old one but every time I clean it the first comes right back.

• Jacquienina

Yes - I have done this.

• Chris Smith

the knife is probably made of iron and not of steel, that's why it will get rusty again.

• Linda Hornig

If it is very old and made of iron, continual cleaning will eventually wear the metal away- if it has sentimental value, clean it then wipe on light coat of oil to preserve it and just keep it as a treasure. I have a Civil War era fork, and a paring knife of my grandfathers which I have preserved in this way.

• S Davis

Is there any safe, good way to get rust off the interior of a ceramic sink?

• Marianne C Merola

Would it work on a bathroom tub?

• Laurie S

Marianne, for a truly easy way to clean a tub, shower, etc, use an incredible mixture of Dawn, white vinegar, and water in a spray bottle! Dawn breaks down grease and soap scum, white vinegar works on calcium and iron/rust buildup.

Spray the mixture on the area you're cleaning, let it set for about 5-10 min, then wipe away! Works on shower doors and curtains too!

• Victoria

I have done this too. Works like a charm.

• Ann9517620

What is ratio of mixture?

• Manjit Kaur Panesar

Hi

As I have an iron heavy based frying pan heavily rusted.

any solutions to make rust free, please sugest.

• Lori

My husband used a drill and a wire brush and, as needed, scraped it with a wood chisel. After getting it completely back to bare metal, we reseasoned it.

• Alice

i use tinfoil and salt as the abrasive. Then rub cooking onto the pan

• Mwitt0625

I just had a lot of luck with soak the rusted pan in vinegar and water solution for several hours and than re-season it

• Diane Spott

how can i clean rust from a cast iron skillet?

• Victoria

I use salt and scrub with aluminum foil. If it too bad I use and soap pad and then dry it on the stove and then rub cooking oil on it. I then reseason it if it needs it.