Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Add Storage Drawers Under Your Bed

I’m a big fan of great storage ideas, especially when they look adorable. Most people don't realize it, but you can store things under your bed. I used to store my shoes there, but it got all dusty. It was also difficult to put more than one line of shoes, or else I wouldn't be able to reach them. That's why I love this under-the-bed storage from an old drawer! It's super easy, and it slides out for easy
The messy room
The messy room
You can see how badly I needed some storage in my room.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
diy under bed storage drawers
I used an old drawer, 4 caster wheels, 16 wood screws (four for each wheel), and a drill. You can add to this list any decorating materials you might want to use.
Here's the old dresser. It's definitely time for an upcycle.
You can see in the picture how old this dresser was. I'm glad I found something to use it for.
Step 2: Turn the Drawer Over
diy under bed storage drawers
Turn the drawer over so the bottom is facing upwards. This is where you're going to screw in the wheels.
Step 3: Remove the Tracks
diy under bed storage drawers
I removed the tracks on my drawer so they wouldn’t get in the way or caught on anything. Depending on the type of drawer you use, there might not be any tracks. But if there are, I would advise taking them off.
diy under bed storage drawers
The tracks are now gone.
Step 4: Attach the Castors
diy under bed storage drawers
Using a drill, screw in the wheels at each corner. I used castor wheels so the drawer could roll freely in any direction.
diy under bed storage drawers
All four wheels are on.
Step 5: Slide it Under the Bed
diy under bed storage drawers
Your under-the-bed storage is now complete. Simply fill it up with whatever you want under your bed and slide it under.
diy under bed storage drawers
You also have the option to decorate them. This one actually went in my daughter's room, so I chose a My Little Pony theme, because she is obsessed with that. You can also decorate them in any way you want. Wasn't that simple?

• An old drawer
  • 4 castors
  • Drill

• 62q10370829

how did you keep the screws from going threw thin bottom? if using more then 1 drawer put on pc.of plywood with wheels on bottom of it.

• Larry Pettijohn

Some options... 1) Instead of screws use short bolts & nuts (they have capping nuts too), reinforce the fiber board panels with large flat washers 2) replace the thin fiberboard with a thicker piece of plywood 3) Screw the casters into the drawer frame (pre drill to keep from splitting) Glue a small block of wood to the 4th corner of the caster to even things out

• Fiona

how do you keep the drawers free from dust that just generally accumulates under ones bed?

• Rosanpgarcia

May be, but one thing is to clean under the bed. You need more time and care to clean each of the objects, especially toys and bedding

• Sue Ogden

Did you find a use, or a way to recycle, the rest of the cabinet you used the drawers out of? Just wondereding.

• Shawna Bailey

I turned the outside of the cabinet into a paint box. To paint small items.

• I envy all of you with wood foors that can do this! Even though my bed is high, I do not have that much clearance. Great job! Great share!

• Barb in Texas

Use bed risers and lift the bed a few inches. Works great for me, I keep plastic storage boxes full of craft supplies under mine. I got them at Bed Bath & Beyond, but they sell them many places.

• Pgl

Great ideas never go out of style...Thank you ,you did a wonderful job