Gwendolyn Schilling
Gwendolyn Schilling
  • Philadelphia, PA
Asked on Aug 15, 2013

Fat Green Caterpillars

ChelFran BarrettGwendolyn Schilling
+4

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of these green caterpillars on my tomato plants? They look so much like the leaves that it's hard to see them, but they strip the leaves to the bare stem. What can I do, thanks.
  • Cheryl Blanchette

They are the horned tomato catapillar they are best hand picked off and fed to the chickens lol squished so satisfying after they demolished a plant. In the old days Sevin dust was used but I'm now organic Sevin is bad. If you see a little one grab it the grow fast.

• Gwendolyn Schilling

Thanks Cheryl, I hate the idea of having to handle the critters, but I'll get them.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

You can use a some big plastic tweezers if you are squimish

• Gwendolyn Schilling

LOL, LOL, I just might do that Donna, I really don't like the little critters.

• Fran Barrett

Depending on the exact species, they may become giant moths like the Hummingbird Moth, or the Sphinx Moth. Sometime swallowtail butterflies. http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/insimg/05517F4.jpg

• DORLIS

@Fran Barrett they are hummingbird moths so i plant a couple of extra tomatoes for them.

• Chel

My mom used to take a coffee can with a couple of inches of gasoline out to the garden, pull those things off the plant and drop it in the can of gasoline. It got rid of them all right