Kim Campbell
Kim Campbell
  • Canada
Asked on Aug 17, 2013

Is the paint stored in my shed still good?

Sunny LavalleeMaggieKim Campbell
+5

I have a bunch of cans of paint and stain stored in my shed, some has been there for a few years. Will it still be good, or has freezing temps in the year ruined it? There are latex and oil paints there.
  • Cheryl Drapeau-Brown

@Kim, I would not use it, I would put cat litter in the can to absorb the paint and seal the can.

• Just 4 You Organizing

@kim. I would agree with Cheryl..It should be used..however one tip for the future if you wan tot keep that extra little bit of paint i put paint into canning / mason jars and put saran wrap on top before putting on the lid. THis helps with both keeping the paint from getting air and drying out,,also jars don't take up as much space!

• Marietta

The small jars also make it so much easier to use for spot repairs.

• The oil may be still ok if it has not skinned over but I would test it before putting it on anything other then a sample board, and forget the latex once it freezes its gone.

• GranArt

Long story but making it quick; I had old latex paint about a year or so, was in a hurry and wanted to paint my lattice and place it in my craft booth I had many years ago. I noticed the odor but for some reason I thought after a few days the odor would go away. It didn't! The customers were even complaining of the sour smell. The other crafters near my booth was complaining as well and finally I took it down and threw it away. true story... :) buy new paint!

• Kim Campbell

Thanks, I will take it to the disposal place. I was going to try some on the raised garden beds, but sounds like not a good idea.

• Maggie

Paint left to temperature high and lows is not likely to still be good. If you live in an area of 4 seasons and the paint has gone through a freeze it's probably will not be in good condition. You can stir it really well and try a small area of 4' by 4' not easily visible (because it may not blend well no matter how many times it's been painted over) and let it dry for at least an hour and see what you think. The best place to leave paint out of your way is in a basement, if you have one.

• Sunny Lavallee

thanks for the answers