Deb
Deb
  • Huntington, NY
Asked on Aug 17, 2013

Painting fire place doors

Melissa GutillaGerri StrathmanDeb
+3

I would like to paint my wood burning brass fire place doors. Any suggestions?
  • KMS Woodworks

I have brass on my woodstove door as well...but I would never consider paint...I have polished it up a little but the heat allow for discoloration within a few more uses. There are a number of high temp paints available...but I have never seen a "brass" color.

• Shari

We used black high heat spray paint (like what you paint BBQ grills with) on our brass fireplace doors and surround. By removing a few screws, my husband was able to take the doors and the surround outside to spray it. We roughed the brass up with some sandpaper first. I am so much happier with the way it looks painted! (And one of these days when I am feeling really ambitious, I am going to paint all of the ugly orange, yellow, and brown stones in shades of off whites and grays, and the orange stain on the mantel will be history too!) If you are not able to remove your doors, I believe they also sell the high heat paint in quart cans for paint brush application. Edited to add: I no sooner hit the submit button on my comment when I saw this new post on this very subject! My dated brass surround looked just like hers! http://www.hometalk.com/2041805/how-to-update-your-fireplace-surround

q painting fire place doors, doors, painting
  • Deb

I would like to paint it black

• Gerri Strathman

I painted mine years ago with a high heat resistant spray paint. Mine has held up for several years.

• Melissa Gutilla

I love it!! Think I need to do that with ours also. I just don't like brass looking anything!!