DIY Custom Bulletin Board

Do you know how to make a custom shaped bulletin board? Here is my take on a DIY bulletin board. If you want to make some ornate design I may not be able to help you, but with straight edges and simple angles, I could do this. I was motivated to take on this project by a challenge by Hometalk to create a decorative item or wall art for them to use in their New York City headquarters. Challenge accepted!
First of you are going to need a saw, and got my very first power tool for myself! Not something my husband has that I use, nope, my very own!! A trip to Home Depot and I have this great Ryobi compound miter saw! Here she is, my new power tool! I love it already!
I began with a 2′ x 4′ piece of luan plywood. This would be the center of the bulletin board, with the cork attached to it. I laid it out on a table and then began with oak boards measuring 1/2″ x 4″ .
Here is the tee shirt I have with the Hometalk logo on it. This would be my model for the shape of my bulletin board. I took the shirt to the Home Depot to try and match the paint, but alas, they can’t match a color on fabric. I think the man at Home Depot and I did a pretty good job of matching the color. See that square and level? I used those a lot to make sure I got straight lines when drawing my lines for cutting my boards. Measure, mark and measure again!
I found myself altering things as this project progressed. You can see I had cut the luan to make a much “taller” ‘house’ and comparing it to the logo realized it was way out of proportion, so it was time to “lower” the roof! See the pencil line up the middle of the luan? That is how I knew where my roof pieces were to meet.
Time to paint the boards!
Glue rolled cork onto the luan base and press firmly.
Start assembling your bulletin board by using wood glue to attach your pieces onto the cork.
There you have it! A completed bulletin board in a custom shape! For more details check it out at http://celebrateanddecorate.com/diy-bulletin-board/

• Ryobi Compound Miter Saw  (Home Depot)
  • Cork Board Roll  (Amazon)
  • Glidden Paint  (Home Depot)

15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now
Chloe Crabtree