Tammie S
Tammie S
  • Kennesaw, GA
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

Can Someone Identify This?

JoyWanda McGuireMargaret LaRose
+9

can someone identify this, painted furniture
  • Carole

Interesting item! At first glance my thoughts would be perhaps for mail or letter writing or even perhaps something to do with sewing?? I too would love to know what it is!

• TJ

How tall is it? The middle part looks like it was a phone table but the half basket ends say sewing. Is it possible someone put a variety of pieces together?

• Larose LoganOakes

I love it! Whatever it is!

• Carole

Hard to tell the size of this thing? Do you have the dimensions? Does it sit on a table top or counter or on the floor? One other idea is perhaps it is for serviettes in the top part and condiments in the baskets - something to put on the breakfast table or something like that perhaps at a hotel or bed and breakfast type place??

• Tammie S

It belongs to a FB friend that has a little shop. She picked it up somewhere to resale and wants to identify it. I'll check for the dimensions.

• Vickie Rabold

This is known as the picnic basket coffee table. It was popular with the lower middle class in the 1950-60's, mainly used to store magazines and needle work in the ends as well as serving.

• Catherine Smith

@Vickie Rabold You are right and I just took a trip down memory lane, as my Mom had one of these. She used it as a combo coffee table, and storage for her embroidery/knitting projects.

• Tammie S

thanks Vickie! I'll pass this info along!!

• Cindy Small

ery cute I had one in an apartment I rented back in 1976

• Margaret LaRose

Different opinion from me. It is ugly.

• Wanda McGuire

I don't know what it is but I like it! Wish I could find one like it.

• Joy

I do know that the boxes were used to age cheese. My grandma had one and that is what her mother made cheese in. someone must have made a table out of it at some time.