Julie G.
Julie G.
  • Peaster, TX
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

Painting a laminate table top

DebbiePatriciaJulie G.
+1

I have an old school table top [3 X 6]that I would like to cut in half and attach it to the wall like a shelf. It is laminate. I would like to paint it black. Would that paint made out of paint and plaster of Paris cover well and be durable?
  • KMS Woodworks

Chalk paints are not nearly as durable as a good gloss enamel...but depending on the intended use of these "shelves" chalk paint may be durable enough. For good adhesion I would first sand the laminate with some 80 to 120 grit. This will rough up the "plastic" top layer and allow the paint to get a better bond.

• Julie G.

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Patricia

I disagree. I have been using chalk paint for going on 2 years now and find it to be very durable. I just finished my bedroom furniture, as a matter of fact. The key is waxing it well to seal it afterward you paint. Google it, Annie Sloan has a line thats really nice. Good luck!

• Debbie

I use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint for most of my painted furniture and I have found it to be very durable. However, over laminate pieces or areas that get a lot of wear and tear, I usually add a little extra security. For you, I would lightly sand as in the first recommendation, and then add a coat of primer, (I usually use spray kilz) then do your chalk paint. It is an extra step but it helps ensure good adhesion. Have fun on your project!