Judith F
Judith F
  • Wills Point, TX
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

Old Otterman

April EJudith FGloria Duy
+38

How can I recover this?
Top half of otterman is crumbling.
Top half of otterman is crumbling.
Very hard to use staples, not enough room or solid base!
old otterman, painted furniture
old otterman, painted furniture
  • Judith F

I like the idea, but don't sew, nor have a machine.I would like your directions any way, maybe can find someone who can help me!!Thank you!

• Carole

The simplest way to do this with no sewing required is to get some batting (wadding) that you can buy in any fabric store as they sell it for people who do quilting. Cut to size and essentially cover the entire leather cushion and using a staple gun with heavy duty staples (you can get the staple gun and 8mm or 10mm staples to go in it from any of the big chain hardware stores). Staple the batting to the underneath of the ottoman. Then do the same with fabric of your choice over the top of the batting and staple underneath. Some calico stapled over the bottom of this to cover raw edges (turn your edges under on the calico before you staple - again, no need for any sewing and that will neaten the underneath for you. If the legs will unscrew prior to doing this, then it should be very easy. The overall appearance would be more like one deep cushion rather than the two tiered effect you started with but it should pretty it up without you needing to be a seamstress to do so. Use a medium to heavy weight fabric (fabric store can advise what is suitable) for this project. Anything too thin won't wear very well. Good luck!

• Z

@Carole, that would be the easiest, but she said there wasn't enough base to use staples. That's why I suggested a slip cover. Though that does make me wonder.... @Judith, can you share a photo of the underside so we can see how it was put together?

• Damo The Upholsterer-uk

there won`t be feeling much wood under the top cushion , as it will be sewn to the bottom of the pouffee, the best way to fix this in my eyes is to strip it off completely using a staple remover, and find a sewer who will cut out the cushion border thats wared away, and it actually re-upholsters like a throw over cover as given to you in advice before, or you can buy leather paint that can be used to cover the holey bits up with whats called base coat leather paint, and with a bit of practise either way it can be made to look super again 1 day, hope i may of helped you xx dameiean ps if you lived near me in the uk i wud fix this to brand new in less than 1 hour. but you live over that big pond so its not that easy

• Judith F

I love your ideas and I would take you up on the repair, If I could jump over that pond.

• Judith F

Thank you one and all for trying to help and give me workable ideas.I believe the whole thing needs to be covered.At first I thought only the top, but the rest is looking pretty bad also. I am adding 2 more photos.One bottom view and a close up of side,

• Z

@You're very welcome Judith. As you can see Carole and I had quite a discussion while you were away. :^) I am not seeing the new photos though.

• Judith F

Help answer this question...Check again,I reposted the photos.

• Carole

@Judith F Looking at the underside - I can just make out the original staples. I believe you could just go over the top of the whole thing, with the new fabric - the wadding will help make one large deep cushion out of it so you won't see the two separate cushions and being white it will also cover the brown colour so you don't see that through the new fabric. Neaten with the calico underneath - remove the legs first - looks like they will unscrew - and just staple between the existing staples - no need to even pull the old staples out. I think that is the easiest and quickest makeover with no special skills needed. Tip for stapling - put a couple of staples on one edge in the middle - then stretch the fabric neatly and staple the opposite edge in the middle- before doing the same on the other two sides - then fill in the rest of the edges towards the corners with the staples. This prevents the fabric from being crooked when applied -keeps it nice and even.

• Judith F

How do I make the corners look right, with the excess fabric?

• Carole

@Judith F Hi Judith, it takes a little practice to get the corners right but I attach photo of a corner on a cushion - I hope it helps. You basically only want to see one line/pleat/fold - not two as it will look neater. Just practice - don't be afraid to play with the fabric till you get it right. Look at the front edge of the seat cushion. It is hard to explain the process but this might be what you want to aim for.

old otterman, painted furniture, Tell us about this photo
  • Gloria Duy

What is it? What is an otterman? Am I missing something?

• April E

you use folds to make the corners right almost a "pleated" fold would do it and @Gloria Duy it was a miss spell she meant ottoman. so yes you missed something lol

• Judith F

Ottoman???Footstool????

• Judith F

Thank you!I get it.

• Z

@Judith, depending on the type of fabric you are using it may not be real easy to do the corners because of the depth of the sides of your ottoman. Have you purchased the fabric yet?

• Judith F

No I haven't, just very hesitant, because I'm not sure.What do you suggest??

• Judith F

I really want the fabric to be extremely durable, because it is used all the time.

• Z

Here's a video that shows (with batting) how to recover a bench, which would be similar to what your wanting to do. At just after the 1 minute 10 second mark she shows a great way for you to do your corners without having to cut the V shape out. The only problem is it's much harder to staple through the extra bulk, so hopefully you have some "muscle" around that will be willing to help you out. The rest of the video will not be of any help as she made a fitted cover before hand. Now if I did this correctly the video will start just before the part I want you to see at one minute ten seconds in. http://youtu.be/u9qF0G2Jrd8?t=1m10s

• Z

Just incase that doesn't work for you try this one and wait for it to load then go to one minute ten seconds in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9qF0G2Jrd8

• Judith F

Not loading well, but will give it time.

• Z

@Judith, I'm sorry about that. Try highlighting the link then right mouse click it and chose from the drop down to open in a new tab so you can see it. I should open in another tab at full screen.

• Judith F

Yeah!!It loaded and it was very helpful!!Thank you for helping me!!Now to get some fabric and batting.When Done I will post!!

• Z

I'm glad to hear that it finally worked and helped you @Judith. I'll be looking forward to seeing the end results. Good luck!

• Judith F

I am in the process of recovering it.I have had a beautiful heavy woven throw a nephew gave me years ago, and It is all the right colors.I have put the batting on and stapled most of it, but won't finish until I get back from trip.I will post!!

• Judith F

Here is the final results to covering my Ottoman!!Thanks everyone for all the good and helpful advice.

old otterman, painted furniture, Covered and prettyold otterman, painted furniture, Used a throw my Nephew gave me many years ago I love the colors
  • Carole

Well done! Looks a lot better. Hard to see the fabric, but is that a tree print on it??

• Gloria Duy

Looks nice!

• Judith F

Yes, Carol it is a tree.

• Judith F

Thank you Becky!!

• April E

nice!