Jim G
Jim G
  • Suffolk, VA
Asked on Aug 18, 2013

WHAT TYPE Bug is THIS????

Martha MartinBrittani OplingerPhil Bauman
+13

** What type bug and are there any issues to concern for??
q what type bug is this, pets animals
q what type bug is this, pets animals
q what type bug is this, pets animals
  • Robin Berteau

Red Velvet Ant more commonly known as a "Cow Killer". Very painful sting.

• Jim G

@Robin Berteau Thanks, WOW.... NEVER have seen this before, and WHY would this be here? NO Cows or farms nearby!

• Robin Berteau

Velvet ants are not aggressive and will try to escape from you. The females have a very painful sting if handled. The name "Cow Killer Ant" was given to the velvet ant because of the reputation of the female's sting. It is said that the sting is so painful that it could kill a cow.

• Robin Berteau

These are most noticeable when the cicadas are around. And this year is one of them. Here is a link to explain it better. http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/cowkiller.shtml

• Jim G

@Robin Berteau ok, thank you. very interesting! haven't watched the link yet, but suspect if I see any more, I'll spray!

• Robin Berteau

No, they are a beneficial insect. Just remember to wear shoes when you have been seeing these in your yard.

• Robin Berteau

@Jim G Depends on how many you have been seeing. I have only seen maybe 5 or 6 my whole life. And personally, if I had a choice between this insect and pesticides, the insect would win. I have captured in a cup and released away for the play areas. I don't use insecticides where the kids and pets can come into contact with.

• Lgsmith

These insects are wasps, not ants. Females are wingless and covered with dense hair, superficially resembling ants. The red velvet-ant is the largest velvet-ant species, reaching about 3/4 inch in length. They are black overall with patches of dense orange-red hair on the thorax and abdomen. Males are similar but have wings and can not sting.Females have a nasty sting but only if touched or picked up. The red velvet-ant is the largest velvet-ant species, reaching about 3/4 inch in length. They are black overall with patches of dense orange-red hair on the thorax and abdomen.There is no effective control measure for them. If they are particularly abundant in an area, it may be helpful in the long run to over seed to get a better grass cover. This would discourage the ground nesting bees and wasps on which velvet ants feed.

• Emma Dorsey

it's an ant lion is not an ant at all.

• Phil Bauman

Call it what you will, it is a tough son of a gun.

• Brittani Oplinger

ant lions can be killed with diatomaceous earth - they have an exoskeleton. :) Get it here - http://www.kelp4less.com/shop/diatomaceous-earth/, it's really inexpensive and really effective.

• Jim G

@Catherine Smith I'm HOPING not to see any more! never have seen this before, and since that day, haven't seen any more!

• Martha Martin

We called then Cow ants when I was a kid....and we just ran away..don't see that many now!